Author Topic: Minn Kota PowerDrive V2 or Terrova Bow Trolling Motor Shaft Length, Sonar  (Read 8628 times)

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
I'm going to get a Minn Kota trolling motor with iPilot.  I have a 16' aluminum boat and my current motor has something around 36" shaft and occasionally comes out of the water so I need to get a longer shaft.  However, I'm concerned about getting one with 54" shaft because that may be too long.  The shortest Terrova model is 54" shaft.  Anyone know if that means I can set it up to be 40" long so the motor is at the recommended 9" underwater? 

Looking at the Q&A on Bass Pro Shop site for the PowerDrive V2 model, someone asked if the shaft length could be adjusted.  A customer wrote "YES! Can be adjusted full length of shaft" but then the Staff answer was "The Shaft length may not be adjusted on this model. Thank you!"  I supposed I trust the staff answer but want to hear from experience.

Am I stuck with shaft length as indicated to either be 48" for shortest PowerDrive V2 iPilot model or 54" shortest Terrova model?  If 36" shaft length I currently use is only a couple inches too short, will 48" be too long?

Also, a couple of the models come with Universal Sonar 2 connection. It says it can be connected to Hummingbird dual plus sonar models.  But, can it be connected to a Hummingbird that also has down imaging (Hummingbird 596c HD DI)?  I've never connected a fish finder to a trolling motor.  Can't believe it really works.  Doesn't the motor move enough to cause the image to cut out?  Apparently not, but wondering if any of you have had experience with this and know if it'll work with a Hummingbird that also has down imaging.

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
On my Powerdrive, the shaft length is fixed and can not be adjusted.  The height, however, can be adjusted which is how deep the actual motor is in the water.  Guess it's all semantics  :greengrin:

I also have the US2 option which works pretty good for me.  Some new units out there use two transducers, one for normal sonar & the other for the side scan/down scan.  You will need to see if your unit is configured this way.  If so, connect the US2 to the unit's normal sonar and mount the side scan/down scan transducer to your TM's lower unit.  If your unit only has one transducer and it's for both normal sonar & down scan, you wont need the US2 option and just mount the transducer to your TM's lower unit.  Here is a link for the mounting bracket: http://store.humminbird.com/products/449618?product_id=6bdf2f483a8ff63e2a11fd07261a951d

LLL

Offline sandman

Matt, are you looking at the 24V models or the 12V?

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
Normally I'd get top model and do it right and get 24V or 36V, but I really don't need it.  My current 28lb thrust powers my 16' alum boat fine so the 12V model at 55lb thrust will surely be sufficient.  If I ever upgrade boats and take the trolling motor with me, then it could be an issue.  But even my long term plans of upgrading boats has me upgrade to something still fairly light. 

All that said, I could fit a 2nd battery up front and do 24V.  Do the 24V models have other advantages over 12V model?

Offline sandman

I was going to recommend saving the expense and weight of the second battery. I have used a 12V on my previous 16 footer and the Whaler currently uses a 12V and it's plenty.

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
On my Powerdrive, the shaft length is fixed and can not be adjusted.  The height, however, can be adjusted which is how deep the actual motor is in the water.  Guess it's all semantics  :greengrin:

Sounds like the important part of adjusting the depth of my motor can be done.  The longer the shaft, perhaps the higher/taller the top of the trolling motor will be.  I'll check it out at the store. Thanks for info on the US2 option.

Offline menrats

• AZCA Members
the length also matters to how far its gunna stick out beyond your gunwalls when its packed up and traveling. the 45 powerdrive sounds good then you dont have a large footpedal on board. you just run the unit with a remote. i love it. saves 300 bucks too. the in the motor casing transducer is a feature i wish i had but dont so i have to be careful with the line to the transducer everytime i put it up or down. it costs another 100 bucks for this feature.
as an aside my friend it appears your spending bucks upgrading the gear for the boat and those boys arent getting smaller, you may want to upgrade the boat and work your new tm into the deal. just a thought. go see smitty.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal