Author Topic: Boat Anchor Usage  (Read 7921 times)

Offline AZfisherdude

Re: Boat Anchor Usage
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 09:02 AM »
I use a slip ring mechanical anchor with 150' of rope.  The nice thing about this type of anchor is you let out excess line to get a decent angle on the rope and it will actually dig into the bottom or hang into the rocks.  If it gets stuck you pull from the opposite direction and it comes out everytime.  You don't need a chain to help hold it down plus it weighs only 6 lbs for upto 18' boat and 11 lbs for 22' boat.

That's the anchor that I use but I have always used a 6' chain to lay it down quick.

There was a time when all that I used was a 20-25' piece of logging chain :)
I agree. I use this type on the front and once I added chain it grabs much more quickly. Even in soft bottom areas. I use a mushroom on the other end. It slides around some but mostly keeps the boat from moving toooo much.

Offline silver48

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 12:36 PM »
I've been making my own mechanical anchors out of 3" galvanized pipe, filled with concrete and capped, with rebar hooks on one end.  They grab really well and with the slip hook, I have never been stuck.  Same as every one else, depending on the depth, about 100' +/- of line let out. 

Offline AZfisherdude

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 12:12 PM »
I've been making my own mechanical anchors out of 3" galvanized pipe, filled with concrete and capped, with rebar hooks on one end.  They grab really well and with the slip hook, I have never been stuck.  Same as every one else, depending on the depth, about 100' +/- of line let out. 
That sounds really cool. Do you have a picture?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal