Author Topic: Roosevelt 6/13  (Read 3100 times)

Offline yandrew8

Roosevelt 6/13
« on: June 15, 2011, 07:05 PM »
Started at 7:45 PM at the mouth to Salome on the cliff side.  Fishing this year had been tough so we only took 2 dozen minnows, that was a mistake and a blessing.  We also didn't figure that the night bite would be good with the full moon.  Put the light overboard and my son started catching nice bluegills on mealworms.  Darkness hit and it was on.  We were about 30 feet from the cliffs fishing in 80-90 feet of water fishing at a depth of 7-10 feet with minnows with one 1/8 oz split shot and a #8 hook.  At about 8:30 we started getting the first bite.  It was an extremely soft bite, normally you would lift your rod tip and you would have resistance.  All in all we ran out of minnows at 10:30 with 18 crappie, 6 bluegills and 4 yellow bass in the boat with another 4 or 5 that were long line released and at least another 5 or 6 missed bites.  Most were in the 1 1/2 to 2 pound range.  We then switched to 1/8 oz white jigs with lemon meringue grubs.  We fished at the same depth lifting our rods about 2 feet and letting them fall this picked up another three crappie in about 10 minutes.  With the cooler full and my boy falling asleep on the boat we decided to call it a night.  The blessing about the minnows is if I had taken my usual 5 or 6 dozen we would have had more than a cooler full and I would have been cleaning fish the whole next day.

I also had a huge bluegill under the light that was almost as big as the crappie for more than an hour.  I could never find anything that he wanted more than what he was feeding on.  He would have been a nice fight.

Offline sandman

Re: Roosevelt 6/13
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 08:32 PM »
Great report. We have been on a soft bite like that at Rosey a time or two. A quill bobber rig works great when they are just barely lifting the bait.

wadefisherman

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 10:20 PM »
Nice report, I've done well in that area before.

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 09:07 AM »
That's an awesome find at a lake that's been rough for most people to fish. Glad to hear you were on some out there.

The blessing about the minnows is if I had taken my usual 5 or 6 dozen we would have had more than a cooler full and I would have been cleaning fish the whole next day.

Ain't that the truth. I love catching, but hate cleaning! It seems my back goes out for a few days after cleaning on my table designed for a person 3 inches shorter than me. haha

Offline menrats

• AZCA Members
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 07:24 AM »
dudes whinig about cleanin fish now that good humor, perhaps release a few or call me ill score any you may wish to part with. im down to just a couple pounds.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal