Author Topic: Pleasant Road Trip on Friday Night?  (Read 139200 times)

Offline eo3510

Re: Pleasant Road Trip on Friday Night?
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 10:11 AM »
We did great on Friday night. I brought a nice kid from AZBZ named "Toasty". The stiff breeze kept the boat bobbing and swaying just enough to keep the bait moving. We were anchored just inside the "new" no wake bouy line inside Coles on the west side just east of the main channel. The water depth was 65-70' depending on which way we were drifting. Our most productive depth was right about 40' give or take 5'. There is lots of 10-12' high trees in the area so it's nearly impossible to drop to the bottom without getting snagged. We topped off the 100 qt blue cooler and put the over flow in Toasty's 48qt. Right around 60 or so. We had 4 over 20" with his largest jsut over 22". Not my best night, but definitely in the top 10.

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 10:32 AM »
Nice job eo - we even cruised around the Coles buoy line just before dark!  Guess I need some lessons....   Although I think I need to put more fishing time into Pleasant.  Just don't like going there on weekends during the summer.  But of the 3 times I have been there this summer, Pleasant has actually been Pleasant! 

Next weekend might be good - no moon.  Thinking of another friday night trip.  Will see how the week goes.

LLL

Offline eo3510

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 11:27 AM »
I hear lots of people say they don't like Pleasant on the weekend nights. I've been fishing at night there for years and have had very few incidents. My biggest problem has been pleasure boaters not staying a "courteous" distance away while I'm fishing, but nothing truly unsafe. I have seen a few folks doing some really stupid stuff out there but always out in the main lake. We'll see if I have figured out this attachment thing.

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 01:35 PM »
What a great pic!!  Is that recent?  Thought I remember that pic posted on Da Zone awhile back.

LLL

Offline eo3510

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 04:03 PM »
It was on AZBZ a little less than a year ago, but I didn't post them, somebody beat me to it. I was anchored in Jackass fishing and I can hear this guy race up lake and at the end of the run I hear WOOHOO!!! He races back down lake and WOOHOO!!!!! Once more up, same thing, once more back and CRUNCH!!! You can't really tell from that angle but he almost made it all the way over. I snapped a couple of phone pics of his Scarab in the AM as I was leaving.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 04:37 PM »
almost every year I see several boats up on top of rock piles or sunk, called in a boat couple weeks ago, was over near barker island was up on  a flat entire transom tore off the boat and the outboard engine sitting in 2' of water with lawn chairs etc. still in the boat and no one around, sheriff checked the boat and then it was left there for weeks and with the lake dropping was on dry land.

also see 1 or 2 sunken vehicles at the launch ramp (already seen one this year)
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2011, 03:44 PM »
I'm heading back out this Friday evening to chase Stripers again.  Anybody else going out??

Hey eo3510 - I was wondering if you are willing to share how you have been rigging with anchovies.  I have been using a heavy drop-shot type rig using either Gamakatsu shiner hooks or have now been using, by suggestion of Halibut Warrior, Owner Down-Shot hooks.  I've also heard that fluorocarbon is a must have?

LLL

wadefisherman

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2011, 04:50 PM »
I really like the Gamakatsu finesse hooks for stripers when using chovies . I have had much better luck since switching over.

Offline eo3510

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2011, 06:02 PM »
I like the Gamakatsu octopus (not circle) or dropshot hooks in #2 to #2/0. The BPS versions are good as well. But my favorite is a Gamakatsu #1 wide gap finesse. I need to get back to the hook-up to get some more.

I use a spinning reel so I splitshot. I use just enough weight to keep my line from bowing too much in the wind. A #7 to #5 if it's just breezy, a #3 if it's windy and a #1 if it's howling. I leave the shot pretty loose so I can slide it. If the boat is bouncing from swells I slide it as close as 6" to the hook to keep the bait from wrapping up. If it's calm 12"-18".

I try to talk everyone that comes out with me to use 100% floro. Those that don't, are borrowing some for a leader in a couple of hours. I know it's stiff, kinky and prone to twist but it catches fish. Toasty was dead set to make his green mono & green braid work. After I caught 15-20 fish to his 0, he switched too.

I take an anchovy and cut off the head, cut 1" to 1.5" chunk out of the body and that's two pieces of bait. If the dinks are hammering me I'll switch to a whole anchovy hooked through the hard part of the head. They'll still pick it apart but I've got more of a chance of a lazy keeper swiping it away from the little guys. If I happen to see a dink pecking at a whole anchovy, I'll drop it 2-5 feet and often a keeper will pick it up. Shhh, don't tell anybody that one.

Erik

Offline eo3510

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2011, 06:08 PM »
And, yes I will be out there again Fri & Sat chasing those "carp with tuxedos".

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal