Author Topic: Pleasant Road Trip on Friday Night?  (Read 139184 times)

wadefisherman

Re: Pleasant Road Trip on Friday Night?
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2011, 07:57 AM »
I agree, with the flouro leader, I use a 1/2 to 3/4 oz weight (depending how deep I'm fishing) to get the bait down fast to pass the dinks.

Offline eo3510

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2011, 09:51 AM »
I agree, with the flouro leader, I use a 1/2 to 3/4 oz weight (depending how deep I'm fishing) to get the bait down fast to pass the dinks.
That's the one area I seem to be different from most. With my lighter weight, I just cast out over the cone of light to the depth I want to end up at and let it fall slowly. I rarely just drop it straight down. I find that I'll catch a few on the drop, and if not, I catch more fish with the least amount of weight needed. With the lighter weight I seem to have more fish pick it up and run with it than just peck at it. In the mornings and evenings I take my weight off and let it drop real slow.

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2011, 03:38 PM »
WOW - Really good info from everybody!!  Thanks Erik & Brian for sharing your techniques.  Looks like I'm pulling out the spinning gear Friday evening.

One additional question: Usually I use two poles in pole holders.  But found that I really could only use one pole & no pole holder due to the light bite.  The other pole in a holder seemed to do nothing but donate a chovie to a light biting striper.  Your experience on this?

I'm still working on a backseater but after a stop at Wild Horse West I plan on being on da water around 7pm.  

LLL
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 03:43 PM by cousinlll »

Offline AZfisherdude

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2011, 09:39 AM »
I use a pole in the holder everytime and have no problems getting them to hang themselves or continue to bite long enough to hook them. Maybe readjust how you put your hook in the chovie? Try different hook size? I typically use a 2/O circle hook by gamakatsu. Miss a few but not many.

Offline timbo

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2011, 09:46 AM »
I'll be fishing Saturday nite & have a question.
If you are anchored & have your lites on is it OK to have a beer?
Really don't want any trouble. Don't want to visit uncle Joe.

Offline eo3510

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2011, 05:34 PM »

One additional question: Usually I use two poles in pole holders.  But found that I really could only use one pole & no pole holder due to the light bite.  The other pole in a holder seemed to do nothing but donate a chovie to a light biting striper.  Your experience on this?

That's the reason for the light weight. With just a little resistance they seem to grab and hold on rather than just peck.

Offline AZfisherdude

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2011, 03:37 PM »
Sorry, I use an Octopus hook not a circle.

wadefisherman

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2011, 06:39 PM »
When they are hitting real lite I'll hold a pole and stick one in a holder. Another good trick seems to be to use a piece of a cut dink. It stays on allot better than a chovie and the bigger fish seem to really go after it.

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
Friday Night 8/5 Report
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2011, 09:45 PM »
Thanks everybody for your info.... Great stuff!

As mentioned, few work buddies (4 of us & couple kids in two boats) & I hit Pleasant again friday night. This time we set up shop in the mouth of Coles.  Threw out the lights and had fish on in a few minutes.  Caught a ton of rat stripers early in the evening.  Bite seemed to slow for us around 11pm.  Thought about pulling up anchor & finding a new spot but with all the coolers/gear in my boat, would of been too much work so decided to just stay put.  Size was getting a bit better as the night went on.  My friend Todd & his crew seemed to be on the bite most of the night - and they were only anchored up a few boat lengths away from us.  What the heck were we doing wrong... :dontknow:  Both boats were fishing the same way.  It's all good though as we got to see & hear Uncle Todd coach the kids on the art of Striper fishing.  Oh by the way, if anybody catches a Striper with a rod & reel following close behind it - Todd would like to have it back please!!

Not too sure how many Todd & his crew caught but we only ended up with 11 keepers that my Kentucky co-worker happily took home.  We did catch quite a few very nice cats that we gladly let go.  We figured we caught around 40 or so total for the night.  All fish were caught with chovies in 54 ft of water at various depths with most coming a few cranks off the bottom.

LLL

Offline timbo

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2011, 07:57 AM »
My son, his girlfriend & I went out Saturday night.
Hit the water at 8pm 4 ramp.
The big motor wouldn't start so wwe just trolled out to 60ft of water & drop anchor.
We just used 1ea green light.
We ended the night with 19 keeper all 3lb+ . 1ea 4.5lbs.
We didn't catch many dinks. maybe 12.
All were about 5ft off bottom.
Off the lake by 1am.
You must use floro line.
Timbo

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal