Author Topic: San Carlos Tomorrow Night (Friday)  (Read 5192 times)

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
San Carlos Tomorrow Night (Friday)
« on: July 01, 2010, 05:17 PM »
Sparkchaser & I are heading out to San Carlos tomorrow night (Fri).  Other than watching for storms, anybody have any advise or suggestions for the Crappie bite.

Read Timbo's post along with a couple others on AZBZ so decided to give San Carlos a try.  Besides, might not be as busy on the holiday weekend like the other lakes.

Piscolli seems to be doing ok pulling cranks so was thinking of starting out that way until dark and then thowing out the green lights.  Anybody else going to be out there.......

LLL

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
Re: San Carlos Tomorrow Night (Friday)
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 06:04 AM »
So we just got back from San Carlos - what a great evening/night on the water!  Not much boat traffic for a holiday weekend & the wind was calm.

Got there around 5:30pm and spent a few hours green carp fishing.  I haven't fished much for bass there and I guess it shows - NADA even on the fairy wand.  Threw a lot of topwater as the sun set without so much as a passing glance.

The Crappie bite, however, was another story.  We set up shop near the damn on the south shore line along the cliffs in about 60' of water.  Set out the lights and it seemed as though we had shad circling almost immediately.  All night we had what seemed like tons of shad circling the boat.  Fished from sunset until 1:30am and of the 25-30 we caught, brought home 15 of the better ones.  Only a couple of those were of the size were are accustom to for a San Carlos Crappie.  A lot of smaller ones that had little color (no black spots) on their sides.

We were using Slab Daddys tipped with a minnow fishing between 10 to 15 feet deep.  One pole with a Slab Daddy under a slip bobber and the other pole without a bobber.  Seemed as though the slip bobber did better than the pole without a bobber.  Winning color was a 1/16oz Electric Chicken.

LLL  
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 06:19 AM by cousinlll »

Offline Fish Hawk

• AZCA Members
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 06:34 AM »
Good going guys. Electric Chicken, now thats funny, I just had a mental imagae of a chicken with cord coming out its butt

Offline TRITOON

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 09:49 AM »
Glad to hear that there is some sort of a bite somewhere. Thanks and good job
GOD BLESS

Offline sparkchaser

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 05:56 AM »
Small correction to what I had on in the back of the boat. I was throwing a straight minnow with the slip bobber about 8 feet down. I think it was more productive than the electric chicken, but I had a lot more action with the jig. At the start of the night they were inhaling the jig. Later on it seemed to go a lot lighter. If you weren't holding the pole to catch the strike they were gone. Anyways it was fun to get out and catch some crappie again. Didn't really enjoy cleaning them at 330 in the morning, but that's fishing. Thanks again LLL....
SEA.....HAWKS....

wadefisherman

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 09:16 AM »
Nice report, did you have to buy 2 days of fishing passes to go beyond midnight?

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 11:03 AM »
Yep, passes expire at midnight.

Offline Stevert

• AZCA Members
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 02:32 PM »
So we just got back from San Carlos - what a great evening/night on the water!  Not much boat traffic for a holiday weekend & the wind was calm.

Got there around 5:30pm and spent a few hours green carp fishing.  I haven't fished much for bass there and I guess it shows - NADA even on the fairy wand.  Threw a lot of topwater as the sun set without so much as a passing glance.

The Crappie bite, however, was another story.  We set up shop near the damn on the south shore line along the cliffs in about 60' of water.  Set out the lights and it seemed as though we had shad circling almost immediately.  All night we had what seemed like tons of shad circling the boat.  Fished from sunset until 1:30am and of the 25-30 we caught, brought home 15 of the better ones.  Only a couple of those were of the size were are accustom to for a San Carlos Crappie.  A lot of smaller ones that had little color (no black spots) on their sides.

We were using Slab Daddys tipped with a minnow fishing between 10 to 15 feet deep.  One pole with a Slab Daddy under a slip bobber and the other pole without a bobber.  Seemed as though the slip bobber did better than the pole without a bobber.  Winning color was a 1/16oz Electric Chicken.

LLL  

Cool report.  Good to see some crappie fishing going on.  It's been a long time for me. 

Piscolli

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 01:12 PM »
Great report Larry! Thx!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal