Author Topic: San Carlos permits  (Read 10386 times)

Offline AZfisherdude

Re: San Carlos permits
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 10:24 AM »
Nah, I was talking about Bart. I should have phrased my question differently I suppose. When dose it begin to raise again? I wasn't aware that Horseshoe was empty. Are they still releasing water from Bart? Seriously, I am just making conversation and trying to learn something at the same time.

Piscolli

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 05:45 PM »
Nah, I was talking about Bart. I should have phrased my question differently I suppose. When dose it begin to raise again? I wasn't aware that Horseshoe was empty. Are they still releasing water from Bart? Seriously, I am just making conversation and trying to learn something at the same time.

AZ, I wasn't trying to be a smart ass but without rain or run off, none of our desert lakes will rise. Right now SRP is releasing 125 cfs from Bartlett, which is pretty much the minimum to keep the Verde River flowing. At current level it can be tricky to launch but the fishing is usually better. At least if you know where there are under water trees and or rock piles are. The Cat Bay area should be about 20' deep right now with the river channel close by at 25'.

I fish B-Lett a lot in the fall, say from Oct to Christmas and usually do better in the afternoon. Last year I did pretty good, the year before I did really good. I leave my house about 12:30, that put me on the water with minnows and wet line by about 2 pm. I will fish by trolling baits away from the sun until about the last 30 minutes of daylight and head in with enough time to get the boat on the trailer before its dark.

I didn't get out Friday but was hoping to go Monday. Its going to be a game time decision as I have other things going on. But that's what I love about the afternoon bite this time of year. I don;t have to plan to much and its not far from home. I hope that helps.

Offline AZfisherdude

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 02:47 PM »
Yeah, thanks Bill. No worries man I have tough skin  :greengrin: It has been ridiculously dry this year. Thing is, I didn't really start fishing various lakes until 2 years ago and then we had all that rain so my understanding and experience with these conditions is a work in progress. Also, I forgot that the Verde feeds the canals too. Is this the lowest you have seen Bart? I don't fish Bartlett typically unless I can get someone to go with since not riding in the carpool lane adds a good half hour to the trip. I'll be trying it out this fall for sure. I just like to try different things. Done some catfishing, bass fishing, striper fishing, and ocean fishing this summer but haven't really tried much crappie fishing. I think I am out of practice LOL. I am going somewhere tomorrow so I'll post some pics and a report when I get back hopefully!

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 05:52 PM »
weather forecast for this winter does not look good, la ninya which normally means warmer and dryer winter (like last year)

SRP normally swiches over to the verde side (bartlett) about the first week in october and shuts down the salt side, with no water in horseshoe to release into bartlett it may be real real low by this spring with no winter precip (sure hope not)
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Piscolli

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 06:19 AM »
Is this the lowest you have seen Bart?

Yes, at least since 03 when I got my boat and started paying attention to lake levels. I have Bartlett since 1990 but it was shoreline stuff. But I'm sure Fishless has seen it lower, he's fished it for many more years than I have.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 03:56 PM »
have seen bartlett bone dry back in the 70's for major dam repairs, (should of seen all the old boats,outboards,batteries and junk laying in the bottom of that lake :o) have fished it back in the 80's during one of our droughts at 8% was small boat and 4x4 to launch on real steep incline, spent half my time pulling stuck vehicles out so I could launch. With this dry winter this could be a year of remote launching and no ramps will have to wait and see
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Piscolli

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2011, 04:27 PM »
After seeing the lake yesterday I guess I have seen it lower, not by much though.

Offline whaler

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2011, 08:22 PM »
best fishing ever on bartlett was in the 80s across from rattle snake by the fence line we caught 3 pounders  at nignt like we catch 14 inchers now one night three of us caught over 100 fish and like you said there was no ramp and to back a boat in your lights were on a very steep angle looking up to the sky. good memories.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 05:17 AM »
back when it was 8-10% there were two huge trees just up from what would be rattlesnake cove was more like a pond, fished it once a week and you decided how many crappie you wanted to bring home, it was like fishing a hatchery.

Piscolli

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 07:36 AM »
Pray for drough  :greengrin: Just kidding

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal