Author Topic: jig depth  (Read 17967 times)

Offline menrats

• AZCA Members
jig depth
« on: December 01, 2011, 06:56 AM »
my most insecure knowledge while im out trollin is how deep my jig is. i have these questions:
1. is there a terminal depth for my sixteen ounce jig at a certain speed or can i count on it going deeper if i let out more line?
2. does type of line factor in above?
3. is ther a chart or formula for figuruing this out? any tips yall use of a common figure, like at 40 ft of line at 1mph, im at 10ft?
4. any tips you have on counting how much line is out.
5. i usually do a little cast to clear the boat. this is two times the length of the boat 35ft. then i usually run off a couple lengths of rod 15 to 20. so now ive got out 50 ft. ill leave it, if nothing then ill peal out line 10 ft at a time, and repeat untill i get a bite or start hitting bottom or tree tops. is this a foolish system. i can often then recall how much tension is on the line when bit but thats all i have to recall how deep i was when i got bit. how can i refine this? am i too deep even with the first 35 ft cast?
6. i often use a clip spinner, will this resistance ride the jig higher or will its weight take it deeper?

any thoughts would be helpful thx.

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
Re: jig depth
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 03:39 PM »
That's a great question Tom!

Somewhat easy trolling cranks to determine the lure's depth - using the dive curves found in "The Troller's Bible" ( www.fishing411.net ).  Then there's the spinner rig formula that says using a 1 oz weight for every 2 ft of line out equals 1 ft of depth trolling at .8-1.0 mph.  But it sure would be nice to have something like that for Crappie jigs!

I do the same thing as you, casting the jigs out about a boat length and a half or so depending on the depth I'm graphing fish at.  I know Art mentions this subject in his seminars so maybe he will chime in with his two cents.  Guess it's trial & error when you first get on da water by adjusting line length till you get bit!  

I always try to target the 10, 15 maybe 20 feet depth mark because, please correct me if I'm wrong here, that's the "most common" depth your most likely to find Crappie suspending at.

Not much help so, just like you, I'm waiting to hear what the experts have to say.... :greengrin:

LLL

Piscolli

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 04:34 PM »
This is a great subject and maybe the most common question I got at Bass Pro. I would like to move this thread into the General Forum if Rats is OK with that.

To answer one question, yes it matters what kind of line you use. Mono floats and so does braid (until it gets water logged). And with mono at some point light weight will only sink so much. Mainly because the mono wants to float and the more you let out, the more it will want to do so.

This is what I do and if you stick to it, it won't matter how much weight or what speed your trolling:

While trolling at you desired speed hold your rod tip about 1 foot above the surface. Then look down at the line above the water and estimate how much line is out. Let's say it looks like there is 4' of line out. You now know that with your current rig and speed it take 4' of line out to go 1' deep. Want to troll at 10' deep? Let 40' of line out. This ratio can change but with the same thought process you can easily adjust.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 06:19 AM by Piscolli »

Offline menrats

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 06:14 AM »
man you have my permission to relocate anything you want fearless, thats why you are the grand poobah. seriously move any thing no worries.

Offline menrats

• AZCA Members
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 06:19 AM »
so i just extrapolate the same angle from line at the end of the pole to line hitting the water on back to where the jig is. no bows or different angles in the water to the one in the air? using floro which naturally sinks doesnt matter?   :dontknow:

Offline ringer

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 08:08 AM »
I run at 1.0 mph and pull out 27 feet one foot at a time with two 1/8 oz jigs on 8# fireline. I may pull another few feet out until I hit the tops of trees or less if it gets shallow. Seems to work well for me. I never cast the line out at all.

Offline timbo

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 11:21 AM »
You all need to go to hear Art Chamberlin.
He has a system that works great.
That why he kick our buts every yr.
I went the last 2 yrs & I catch many more fish now.
If your just throwing your line out there you will never know how deep you are & can't repeat it.
I also have found that floro-line makes the best leader.
Hope to see ya'll soon.

Piscolli

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 04:48 PM »
so i just extrapolate the same angle from line at the end of the pole to line hitting the water on back to where the jig is. no bows or different angles in the water to the one in the air? using floro which naturally sinks doesnt matter?   :dontknow:

Correct, it is a simple and repeatable technique. However, it won't make your rig sink any faster or deeper, it will only let you gauge how deep you are. With mono I have had 75' of line out but it took 20' just to get to the surface. Using fluoro will help you get deeper, and heavier weight of course.

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 07:21 PM »
Last I read Art was going to be at Mesa Sportsman's Thur Dec 8th at 7pm for a seminar.  Might be good to ask him there.  Confirm he'll be there that date/time before going.

Offline Art Chamberlin

• AZCA Members
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 10:26 AM »
Yes guys and gals, I will be at the Mesa Sportsmans Warehouse tomorrow night, Thursday the 8th, at 7 p.m. and the North Phoenix SW a week from Thursday the 15th, also at 7 p.m. I'll do my best to answer your questions. See you there.......Art

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal