Author Topic: Tempe Town Lake  (Read 5743 times)

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
Tempe Town Lake
« on: July 21, 2010, 12:46 AM »
Guess we're not fishing at Tempe Town Lake anytime soon..........

Weren't they talking about changing out the bladders soon or concerned about the lifespan of them.  Though I read that someplace.

LLL

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
Re: Tempe Town Lake
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 02:33 PM »
I heard they were warned about a year ago that they would need replacement or something like this might happen.

Who'd have thought that rubber sitting in the hot AZ sun would go bad after time, huh?

Offline Elefantdude

• I finally caught a nice Slab for my profile pic!
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 09:05 PM »
Here's the latest - there are talks of doing it still:
http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/cd0138ecc61e4eb3aec4a908ed5a6766/AZ--Tempe-Town-Lake-Dam/

PHOENIX — The Tempe City Council approved a plan to have a steel gated dam built at Tempe Town Lake to replace a temporary rubber dam.

The rubber dam that held back millions of gallons of water had burst in July 2010 and sent water from the lake gushing down the Salt River.

Officials replaced the dam's four rubber bladders within three months, but the city looked for other options because the desert climate ages the dam's rubber bladders.

The Arizona Republic reports (http://bit.ly/zcpefe) that the City Council's vote on Thursday marks the beginning of the task of determining how the city will fund construction of the $35.4 million dam.

It will cost an estimated $32.7 million to maintain and operate the dam over a 50-year life cycle.
Cheers!!!
Ed Elefante
Tight Lines ............ <'))))»•{

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 01:05 AM »
Originally posted, July 2010... hmmm, I've completely forgotten that this site has been up for a few years. haha

Thanks for the post on the update. Getting a solid dam in that thing is a good step towards making a nice lake to fish. Now if they would only let us put some crappie in that thing!!

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 06:22 AM »
saw it on the news, Tempe city council approved the $$, now they have to figure out where to get 37millon. They did say the new metal gate dam would be built down river of the present bladder dam that was just replaced so they would not have to drain the lake. The east end bladder dam is under water and there is water on the back side of it so they are not worried about it presently.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline Elefantdude

• I finally caught a nice Slab for my profile pic!
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 04:01 AM »
Yes, it would be nice if they had crappie in it!  I have caught rainbow trout, largemouth bass and carp earlier this month (January 2012) and in years past. I also almost caught a beaver back in 2005!!! I catch and release all the fish I catch out of that lake. The biggest bass was over 6 lbs and the few carp I have caught are over 5 lbs easy. Heading to Canyon lake on Tuesday, then to Alamo from 2/8 thru 2/8.

There was a comment that Tempe Town Lake is 2nd most money generating venue in AZ next to the Grand Canyon. I don't know if i believe that, unless they count on all the concerts, marathons, New Year's Celebrations, etc. as revenue from the lake.  LOL!
Cheers!!!
Ed Elefante
Tight Lines ............ <'))))»•{

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal