Author Topic: Kayak Fishing for Crappie  (Read 5620 times)

Offline Elefantdude

• I finally caught a nice Slab for my profile pic!
Kayak Fishing for Crappie
« on: January 15, 2012, 03:01 AM »
Hi All!
I plan on going to Alamo Lake for the very first time in early February (2012)  to fish from my kayak for some crappie.  I do not have too much experience with crappie, but I do have extensive experience kayak fishing for bass @ Lake Pleasant, Saguaro Lake, Lake Powell and even Tempe Town Lake  :D. I also have lots of experience fishing for trout on the Mogollon Rim lakes and White Mountain lakes. Plus I have caught a few nice pike up in the Flagstaff lakes as well - all from a kayak. 
Since I am new to fishing crappie from a kayak, I am sure it is fairly similar to fishing from any other type of boat. I have been reading other posts on trolling speed, jigging, depth, lures, etc. I am not much of a bait fisherman. I mostly use artificial lures. I have read that crappie start spawning during the first few months of the year, is that correct? Do crappie go shallow, like largemouth? I have also read that once you catch one crappie, you should fish that same spot, because crappie stay in schools. I have caught a few crappie at Lake Pleasant and Upper Lake Mary, but i was going after different species of fish at those times. I must say, they are some GREAT tasting fish!  :)

I would appreciate any pointers for crappie fishing in general as well as fishing Alamo Lake, since it will be my first time there.  :)  I am hoping to have crappie for my dinner out at Alamo Lake!

Thanks!
EE
Cheers!!!
Ed Elefante
Tight Lines ............ <'))))»•{

Piscolli

Re: Kayak Fishing for Crappie
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 12:24 PM »
Alamo in Feb should be crackin! To answer some of your question, Crappie go shallow and make beds to spawn just like bass, this is dictated by water temps. In our desert lakes 61 to 65 degrees is when they do it. Saturday morning surface temps at Alamo where in the low 50's so we need some warm overnight temps to warm the water. However, if you want big number fish pre-spawn. That's when they are really stacked up and feeding aggressively. Personally I don't bed fish much, I prefer trolling pre and post spawn when they are schooled up tighter.

The Crappie spawn in AZ is usually in March but Alamo and San Carlos tend to go off about a month ahead. At either lake you will find a small to large flotilla of Crappie boats during pre-spawn. Just go out and join them.

I am scheduled to do Crappie seminars at Bass Pro Shops on Saturday 2-25 and 3-3, both at the main fish tank in the center of the store at noon. Also the AZCA is scheduled to have a table with members at it both of those weekends. Our members are awesome and will help you all they can. Once these dates are firm I will post it in my blog.

Offline sandman

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 05:13 PM »
Trolling is a good way to catch crappie but you can do well from a yak. Just work your jig through an area well, move a little if you aren't getting bit.

There are bobber rigs that you can set up to simulate a troll.

Offline Elefantdude

• I finally caught a nice Slab for my profile pic!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 07:38 PM »
Thanx for the feedback, Bill and Sandman!  I am looking forward to trolling Alamo then, along the shorelines.  I will probably start from the campsite on the SE end of the lake and work my way up towards the upper end of the lake, since most reviews I have read, tend to say that is where you want to go, when the Crappie are getting ready for the spawn.  I will have to try different trolling speeds. I have a Hobie Mirage Revolution with the peddle system for hands free fishing, so I tend to troll on the fast side :) I will try different lures as well, from Rapala Countdowns, small in-line spinners, to little jighead curly tail grubs.  I will let you guys know how I do!
Hopefully I catch a nice slab to take a picture with, so I can replace my profile picture of the nice German Brown Trout and myself, caught up at Cyclone Lake in the White Mouontains, near Hawley Lake  ;D

I wish I could attend your seminars, Piscolli, but I work weekends from 6pm to 6am. I sleep during the day. But working 2 12 hour days (weekends) and 2 8 hour days during the middle of the week, allows me to have 3 day weekends!

Cheers!!!
Ed Elefante
Tight Lines ............ <'))))»•{

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal