Author Topic: Peak Crappie Time in Arizona  (Read 6169 times)

Offline wyco

• Tears of a Warrior
Peak Crappie Time in Arizona
« on: January 17, 2012, 09:19 AM »
I plan a crappie fishing trip to Arizona sometime between Feb 15 & April 15. Need a break from Colorado cold & snow!
I understand the hit & miss of fishing, but want to try and get into some good crappie fishing.
Any suggestions on when & where? I was thinking about Roosevelt or Alamo?
I welcome any recommendations!
Thanks,
WYCO

Offline Fish Hawk

• AZCA Members
Re: Peak Crappie Time in Arizona
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 10:40 AM »
feb to april is crappie prime time. what week to come and fish is a coin toss. Rosey and Alamo are in the top crappie lakes in AZ. Its all a coin toss. wish I could help more. 

Offline sparkchaser

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 11:21 AM »
If you want numbers go to San Carlos, if you want size, go to Rosey
SEA.....HAWKS....

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 02:11 PM »
Bartlett would be an easy trip and there have been some promising reports.  If you want to try different lakes, include Bartlett I think.  At least recently, I've seen more promising reports from there vs Roosevelt.

Offline menrats

• AZCA Members
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 07:10 AM »
for a serious crappie getaway:
1. if there is water in it, san carlos. on the res no services except dirt camping. big fish big numbers.
2. bartlett. north of fancy scottsdale. decent camping undevloped but crowded or big buck resorts. numbers but not size except occasionally.
3. alamo. out in the middle of nowhere. nice camping facilities even electric. reserve ahead of time. nice fish decnt numbers.
4. rosey. outside of lovely globe, which also serves san carlos, with many cheap hotels and very nice camping at the lake. big fish tough to get to bite. much is new here lake down to 60 percent from full last couple years and some would put it at the top of the list. not me toughest bite of all and lots of snags. san carlos is what some might call stupid fishing and rosey the master challenge to over come. my view is theyre just panfish lets winch them babys in and eat tacos.
get back to us a few weeks before ya boogey and well advise then.
im gueesing late march would be my choice to make sure things have started and water hits low 60s.

Offline wyco

• Tears of a Warrior
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 08:45 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I'm leaning towards late Feb into Mar for my trip down to AZ.
Please keep me posted on any updates or "hot tips"!
THANKS!

Offline scumbucket

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 01:31 PM »
a couple of years ago my son and I hired a guide to take us out on Rooseveot for crappie. I cought two small ones in a days fishing. My son nothing. I think Ill go try Bartlett as there seems to be more action there. Our poor guide felt real bad and was willing to take us again, but didn't do it.

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 02:03 PM »
Yeah, just keep an eye out for reports to know what lake appears to be hot.  It varies as Bartlett does fairly good now in winter.  Alamo has its times.  Other lakes like Roosevelt you may do better night fishing but can be tough.  Good luck and let us know how you do at Bartlett.  All I caught was bass last time I went there.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal