Author Topic: SC 1-28-12 The good, the bad and the ugly  (Read 8244 times)

Piscolli

SC 1-28-12 The good, the bad and the ugly
« on: January 29, 2012, 05:24 AM »
Fished with Hawk from about 8:30 to 2, we covered over 7 miles trolling grubs and minnows.

The good: The lake is way up! About 22' at the dam now. Remember the old rotted out boat hull on the way the launch a few months ago? Its now about 1/2 way under water, that where you launch now. The new ramp area is even better than it was in nov. Its right as you make the turn eastwards over Soda Canyon point and is good, steep, solid ground. The pole sticking out of the dirt mound is a couple hundred yards off shore. The water was as clear as I have ever seen it, at least a couple feet of visibility, at least up by the dam. Further east it is very stained.

The bad: We couldn't find a dang thing. With 5 boats from the AZCA and another 10 from other the most we heard was 1 fish. Water temps at the dam were 49 in the am and upriver it was a little over 50. Also, parking at the new launch area is tight. If you show up on a busy day I'm sure it will be a mess.

The ugly: The wind picked up around 11 and got pretty nasty, the lake was capping and it was very hard to control the boat.

Big thanks to Fish Hawk for taking me out.

Offline Elefantdude

• I finally caught a nice Slab for my profile pic!
Re: SC 1-28-12 The good, the bad and the ugly
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 05:54 AM »
Thanks for the report on SC, Bill! And thanks for the information on the lake! Hopefully it starts picking up there as well as the other lakes!!
Cheers!!!
Ed Elefante
Tight Lines ............ <'))))»•{

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 08:30 AM »
When the lake level came up, lots of small surface & sub-surface debris fields formed.  From the dam to halfway from Soda Canyon, both my 2D & especially the downscan sonar returns showed suspended debris/organic material from the surface all the way to the bottom.  My downscan return was nothing but noise top to bottom.  The windy afternoon yesterday probably pushed more surface junk around - wasn't an issue for navigation just small patches here & there.

Just thinking out loud, am wondering if all this suspended junk near da dam forced da Crappie to move looking for cleaner water? 

LLL

« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 08:41 AM by cousinlll »

Offline Fish Hawk

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 08:35 AM »
I've caught crappie in the debris felds at Bart and Rosey in the past. I think stupid fishing is over for awhile

wadefisherman

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 10:08 AM »
Sorry to hear of the poor fishing. Seems like it is that way at all the lakes.

Piscolli

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 01:08 PM »
I've caught crappie in the debris felds at Bart and Rosey in the past. I think stupid fishing is over for awhile

Yeap, and I think its time to leave SC alone and let it re-populate.

Offline Stevert

• AZCA Members
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 04:21 PM »
I heard Marv and Mark brought home 4 fish FYI. 

Piscolli

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 04:26 PM »

Yeah I forgot about that. Boo called me about 5ish. Good job fellas!

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 06:49 PM »
the gila river above carlos is running pretty good and looks like choclate milk so it must be settling out up lake
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 07:01 PM »

Yeah I forgot about that. Boo called me about 5ish. Good job fellas!

Glad to hear that somebody managed to catch a few.  Good Job!!  Do we know if they caught them up lake or near the dam?

LLL

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal