Author Topic: Good Scale  (Read 5015 times)

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
Good Scale
« on: January 29, 2012, 08:03 AM »
Any recommendations on a quality scale to weigh fish?  Fishhawk has a digital one but who knows how accurate it is.  I weighed my dad's crappie (15 1/2") and it said 3lbs on the dot but sounds like that's way off.  Mine is Berkley non-digital bought at Bass Pro.

Piscolli

Re: Good Scale
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 01:04 PM »
Matt, first check your scale. Weight a gallon of water or a 5 lb dumb bell or something that you know the weight of. I have had scales that were off right out of the box so always check them. A Cull-em-right is probably the best but very costly.

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 01:51 PM »
I was also wondering if there are different types internally.  That is, these basic spring ones may be more optimally set to weight things between a certain range (5-15lb) and not the smaller weights, e.g. springs tension aren't linear/constant at various spring lengths.  I really don't need to weigh anything but would be nice to be within 1/4lb.

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 04:16 PM »
Here's my two cents...

I have this scale, which I believe Fish Hawk has also, and haven't had any problems other than finding fish to weigh   :greengrin:

http://www.rapala.com/Digital-Scales/Digital%20Scales,default,pd.html?start=8&cgid=rapala-toolsAndAccessories-scales

Then there is this this scale which came out days after I bought the one above.  Should of waited a week    :dontknow:

http://www.rapala.com/RTDS-15/RTDS-15,default,pd.html?start=1&cgid=rapala-toolsAndAccessories-scales

LLL

Piscolli

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 04:28 PM »
That's what I have also Larry, but always test it.

Offline sandman

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 08:51 PM »
I have the Rapala (I think) and the batteries die more often than I need to weigh a crappie :)

Offline Elefantdude

• I finally caught a nice Slab for my profile pic!
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 12:54 AM »
I have the older Ramada model similar to the first link you posted and it drains the battery QUICK, IMO. Time for a different one. Does anyone have that updated version? If so, how is the battery life on that one?
Cheers!!!
Ed Elefante
Tight Lines ............ <'))))»•{

Offline crappiholic

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 07:28 AM »
The best set of scales I have found are the "Cul-M-Rite" scales.  They are a little pricey but are very accurate.  The Elite Green Trout guys use them alot.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal