Author Topic: Roosevelt Lake Water Temp  (Read 7866 times)

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
Roosevelt Lake Water Temp
« on: March 01, 2012, 01:16 PM »
Just read the March 1 AZ Game and Fish report and it says:
"Some bass were already on beds at Roosevelt Lake and anglers found water temperatures around 62 F the past two weeks. This is a low runoff year, which means the fishing at Rosy is heating up early. Time to get there."

Then later in the report:
"Many anglers have reported seeing bass on beds in the Salt River arm of the lake, with water temperatures in the low 60s. "
"An angler found a pretty warm cove at about 60 degrees. "

Water temp in the 60s?!!  Really?  Surprised it would be that high already.  Don't crappie head to spawn at 62 degrees?  Not that it helps me as I'm not sure I know how to bed fish for them.  I heard the female is only there for a few days during the spawn. 

I'm assuming the flotilla is still across from Schoolhouse but wonder if I should hit some other bed-type areas next weekend when I fish there.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
Re: Roosevelt Lake Water Temp
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 02:40 PM »
little surprised at 60+ degree water at rosy, alamo was 58 in stained water shallow before this last storm? but I guess a real shallow long cove could heat up. Yes 62+ degree water is "love time" for crappie but that has to be that temp down 3-4-6' down. Yes the females only stay a short time, drop their eggs and leave the male is left to watch the eggs. The pics posted from alamo had no (blackened males) which is a sign of them moving up when they are on beds they are jet black till they leave.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline redmule

• Alamo Slabs...
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 04:18 PM »
Alamo still 58 as of today (3/1)...  These light cold fronts and wind are playing havoc...  Bite was off today...

Try again next week... 
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of
snakebite...  Furthermore always carry a small
snake.

Chris H

Offline menrats

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 06:17 AM »
im with you matt, thats seems awfully high for now. ill find out sunday probably.

Offline azbohunter

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 09:26 AM »
keep in mind our units measure surface temp. I was at Alamo on 2/23 and had 62 on the NW side of lake BUT only for a couple hours until the wind came up a mixed it all up again. Therefore reports could be correct if someone hit the window just right! Not inaccurate but misleading :sign0023:
Genesis 27:3  Now then, get your weapons,your quiver and bow,and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 09:48 AM »
Good points.  Depth where water temp is taken matters.  Being that temp more than just a 1 hour window at 4pm in the afternoon on north side of lake in 3' of water probably isn't the best indicator.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal