Author Topic: night fishing for crappie  (Read 10055 times)

Offline Rocko

• ahhhh
night fishing for crappie
« on: March 22, 2012, 02:25 PM »
Can anyone tell me the trick for night fishing for crappie?  I have used both the green light, and a floating white head light.  Sometimes it works great, and other times there are thousands of fish on the screen and they won't bite anything.  It seems like the white floating headlight has worked the best for me.  I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.  When's the best time to try night fishing with lights?  I know it has to do with the moon cycle somehow...?
Rocky

Piscolli

Re: night fishing for crappie
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 02:35 PM »
The best tie is with no moon, otherwise your fighting against the moonlight to attract the bait fish. 2 rules that I use are: #1 if there's no baitfish within 45 minutes you need to move, #2 keep your bait at the edge of the light not in it. Predators like bass and crappie will be sitting out in the dark waiting to attack.

Offline Rocko

• ahhhh
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 09:41 AM »
I have noticed that the bite is better just off of the light and not directly under it.  Do you think the color of your light matters?
Rocky

Piscolli

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 11:56 AM »
Green is best for attracting bait fish. Add a white floating light if there is a lot of moon light.

Offline Rocko

• ahhhh
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 12:25 PM »
Hey thanks all the info Piscolli!  I'm heading to Bartlett in 3 hours.  It seems like a good night to put out the light. It's only 1.5% illumation tonight and the moon sets at 8:00PM.  Not much moon tonight.  Hopefully we won't have to get up in the morning to fish.   Will report....
Rocky

Piscolli

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 05:43 PM »
Hey thanks all the info Piscolli!  I'm heading to Bartlett in 3 hours.  It seems like a good night to put out the light. It's only 1.5% illumation tonight and the moon sets at 8:00PM.  Not much moon tonight.  Hopefully we won't have to get up in the morning to fish.   Will report....

Should be great, conditions are pretty dang good. I may go Sunday for the afternoon bite. Like 2 pm to dark.

Offline Tacoma Guy

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 08:52 PM »
Hey all,

I'm going to try to head back up to Roosevelt Mon. night or Tues. AM.  I have never tried using lights other than during the summer.  I have some new green lights that I'd like to try out.  Has anybody had luck during Spring/Spawn with lights ?  The crappie were in deeper water than I expected when I was up last week.  So I'm not sure if I'm wasting my time with this tactic.  Anyways if anyone has had luck during this time of year with lights I'd appreciate you letting me know.  Thanks !  And good luck to all of you this weekend.

Offline sparkchaser

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 07:16 AM »
A few guys night fished Thursday at Rosey that were up for SCF. They caught 50 crappie under the lights.
SEA.....HAWKS....

Offline Tacoma Guy

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 09:32 AM »
Nice !  OK that answers that then.  Thank you for letting me know.  I am taking my 5 year old with me and this will be his first time fishing with lights.  Should be fun !

Offline sparkchaser

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 10:43 AM »
Make sure you consider the weather report for Monday, which ever you trust. Winds of 20 to 40 predicted at Rosey via accuweather.
SEA.....HAWKS....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal