Author Topic: Towing Capacity  (Read 8395 times)

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
Towing Capacity
« on: April 03, 2012, 07:16 AM »
I'm in the market for a new vehicle and want to make sure what I get can handle my future boat.  Looking at the Tracker Pro-Guide V-16 at Bass Pro as an example, it weighs about 2000lbs.  Not that I'll get that exact boat, but I'm assuming 2000lbs-2500lbs is a good estimate for the size of boat I'd get.  Assuming I pack way too much camping gear, firewood, etc., what should I look for in terms of engine size, horsepower, etc. for the towing vehicle?

I'm looking at midsize SUV like a Chevy Trailblazer and standard ones have 6 cylinders 4.2L with 275hp.  I'm finding other vehicles and trucks with 6 cylinders that range from 3.7L to 4.2L and horsepower in that range.

I could jump up to a 8 cylinder and when I do, the engine size increases to say 5.3L and at least in the Trailblazer, I think horsepower only went up to 290hp.  Doesn't seem like that big of a jump.

I'm assuming all of these options say they can tow up to 5000lbs, although probably some of the smaller ones might say only 3000lbs.

But, I don't want something that is going to overly stress the transmission.  I want to be able to drive to the lake and make it up the hills easier than I am now with my minivan.

Do any of you tow a 2000lb or more boat with a 6 cylinder and how's that working for you?

I'm even not sure if I want a midsize SUV or go for a truck.  Chevy Tahoo probably would cut it, but they're too expensive.  Seems like I could maybe get a 4-door truck of similar engine size for cheaper.  I really like the Toyota Tacoma.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Offline sparkchaser

• Administrator
Re: Towing Capacity
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 07:28 AM »
If you can afford it, get a diesel. Will run forever, and you can tow your house up these hills here. If you don't want a truck, Ford has an Excursion out there with one. Then you can haul your whole neighborhood too
SEA.....HAWKS....

Offline sandman

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 07:52 AM »
Matt, my Nissan Frontier has the 4L V6 and is rated to tow 6300#. My boat/trailer/motor with trolling motor, a full tank of fuel and 3 batteries weighed ~2600# on a check station scale.

It strains a little up the big hills but never drops down below 3rd gear (I only tow with OD off). It does not tend to push the truck when coming down the hill or when coming to a stop. It averages 12-14mpg towing.

With all of that said, I think that I am at near the max that I would feel comfortable towing with this truck. My previous boat weighed in about 500# less and I towed it comfortably and safely with my 2.4L 4cyl Nissan. It averaged 12-14mpg towing.

Bigger is better but you pay for that the 98% of the time that you are not towing the boat.

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 08:33 AM »
Thanks for the info guys.  Sounds like the 6 cylinder might be o.k. but bigger is always better.  These boats are probably a lot lighter than the big campers being towed around and those probably warrant the bigger engines. 

I'm also going back and forth with additionally buying a 2nd vehicle (less than $6k very used tiny 4 door) that I can take to/from work and at least get 30mpg for that type of driving.  With insurance and maintenance though, it's tough to tell if the cost savings in gas will pay itself off over 5-10 years.  I calculated that a 10mpg difference over 100,000 mikes at $5/gallon would save me $13,000.   But insurance and maintenance could cost me that over 10 years but really depends on the vehicle.

I'd like a hybrid as the 2nd vehicle but those annoying car makers jack up the prices so much on them it's tough to recoup the initial cost of them.

Offline Fish Hawk

• AZCA Members
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 09:39 AM »
My last truck (F150 with the 4.2 v6 did ok) bigger is better for towing. the truck I have now has a 6.2 v8 and weighs in at 6000lbs, you don't notice the boat when towing.  I get around 11mpg pulling boat and 13.5mpg around town.

Offline AZfisherdude

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 02:40 PM »
I pull my 3500# pop up camper with my v6 tacoma. It works a bit on steep hills but nothing that worries me. Been doing it for 5 years now with no trouble.

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 03:35 PM »
Matt:

And don't forget the 4WD on your new truck for those just in case SC low water days....

While I agree that out here in these hills a diesel is the way to go for the most efficient towing.  I bought mine for doing 1 job - towing heavy loads up steep hills.  It's not my daily driver.  Might not be the best choice for your needs??

You're asking the right questions to the right people - those of us that tow.  Take what the dealers say with a grain of salt, sometimes all they want to do is just sell you a truck regardless of what you want to do with it.

Take a set back and think about what job you want your new truck to do - pull your future boat up da hills & purchase a truck accordingly.  So many people skimp HP wise thinking it'll ok.  Back in the flat Midwest you might be able to get away with it but out here with the steep grades & high air temps - go big or go home!  Spend your hard earned money wisely now will payoff when you're climbing up the hill with your new boat, maintaining 65 mph & getting goose bumps from your air conditioning being set to high!!

Man, I love spending other people's money.... :greengrin:

LLL

Piscolli

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 05:51 PM »
I used to tow the Puff with a 4 banger S-10 and it ok. She weights 1900 dry on the trailer, loaded for bear (and camping) maybe 2300. In 05 when I went to buy a new truck I was thinking about a V6 or even the Chevy Colorado with an in-line 5. All my friends told me to go with a v8, But I didn't want to spend the extra money and have the added cost of fuel.

Well I bought a Chevy z71 with a 5.3 and will never go back to smaller engine. The fuel econo was the same because I didn't have to have bury the throttle all the time and ride was way better and felt safer. Now I have the Tahoe and love it too. Nothing like a small block Chevy for everyday driving and it tows like a dream. Especially with a somewhat lighter boat.

Yes it does cost me a few bucks more to run around town but the power and comfort make up for it.

Buy a Chevy with a 5.3 or 5.7 flex fuel engine. It will burn the cheapest fuel and have tons of power. Plus the small blocks can really twist some RPM's when your climbing a big hill.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 06:02 AM »
1900lbs for a fiberglass boat? WOW Bill would think the puff is heavier than that. Matt I pull the WT version of the tracker you are looking at with 1/2 ton Chevy with the 5.3 4x4 I really like the new 6 speed transmission and it pulls easy, I had them install trailer brakes when I bought it, really didn't need them as far as stopping ability except that 3 or 4 times a year when an idiot pulls out in front of you, then it is nice to have. Diesels are nice but expensive to purchase, fuel is worse $$, maintenance costs such as oil changes etc. much higher. With the new 6 speed tyranny's the Chevy colorado (which has great leg room) with the I-5 has like 5500lbs towing capacity. You don't want to have just (barely enough) towing capacity if nothing else for our hot summers and stopping ability. If you go with a good tow capacity but a slightly smaller engine for better fuel economy you might not fly up hills (how many hills in AZ?) My new Chevy if I don't goose it gets 20mph on the road with out the boat and 15+ in town if I drive easy. One thing is safety size helps and as your kids grow up and it is suggested to get a travel trailer maybe to camp?? then you want to plan for a vehicle for future use. Remember you only tow something what 3-5% of the time the rest of the driving is work etc. The new vehicles even 4x4 are so much smoother riding than the old straight axle vehicles that rode like a tank. If you go 2 wheel drive get a vehicle with posi-lock rear end which will help on those wet ramps or dirt ramps, not as good as 4x4 but better than limited slip or standard rear end.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 06:06 AM by Fishless »
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline Fish Hawk

• AZCA Members
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 08:16 AM »
Bruce when buying my new truck I figured 30% of annual milage was spent pulling my boat. But thats just me. I only drive 5000 miles a year back and forth to work. Thats only 25 trips to Rosey.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal