Author Topic: Minnkota TM with (built in transducer) and hummingbird 597 graph does it work  (Read 11463 times)

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
I have the terrova minnkota TM that has the universal built in transducer in the head of the TM. I also have a humminbird 597DI HD (down imaging graph). Minnkota makes numerous adapters for the transducer puck to work with different brand and model graphs. Just wondering if anyone has the humminbird down imaging graphs set up with the terrova or other model minnkota troll motor with the built in transducer? see lots of posts on different fishing websites where people are having issues etc. Anyone have this set up?

thanks
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
Bruce:

The built in US2 transducer will work with your normal 2D sonar but you will still need the HBird transducer installed in order for your Down Imaging to work.  I'm assuming you can install the "Y" adapter to split the inputs but since you have to use the HBird transducer anyway to get your Down Imaging, no need to hook up the US2 transducer.

No sure of how you have your unit hooked up or how you want to use it.  Assuming you have the HBird transducer already mounted on the TM?  But, like some people do, if you have your transducer mounted aft & want to utilize the US2 transducer for 2D sonar while sitting up front then utilizing the "Y" adapter might be an option.  Meaning your 2D sonar signal will be from your TM & the DI will be coming from the other transducer mounted aft.

The "Y" cable option to split your 2D inputs is an option on my 998 but unsure about your 597.  After looking at your owners manual & HBird website, looks like you're not able to split your 2D sonar signal with a "y" cable adapter.  Can use a transducer switch.  Might want to call their customer support line to double check though.

LLL
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 09:00 AM by cousinlll »

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
Bruce,

I think I tried the exact setup you want.  I have a Terrova with the built in transducer.  I put my Hummingbird 596(??) with down/side imaging on the front of the boat.  Now, I either through ignorance or who knows what determined that I couldn't use the tranducer or the wire associated with it.  So, a search online had step by step instructions on taking off the top of the trolling motor and threading a new transducer cable all the way down.  Can't find website but it's out there.  There is a slot in the shaft of the trolling motor the cable can magically fit - very lucky.  Anyway, spent some hours on that and took it to the lake and found it had noise the whole time I ran my trolling motor.  Think I tried it at Lake Mary and water was dirty but it was enough to give up and undo the whole installation and put that trolling motor by my steering wheel and put the transducer on the back of the boat.  I now turn the Hummingbird to the front if I want to see anything.  I have a normal 2D sonar on the front of the boat and use the cable that is part of the trolling motor.  That propeller on the trolling motor was very close to the transducer so I think that was the issue but maybe other higher power ones don't have that issue?  Or could have been my install job I don't know.  Also, running that cable down the shaft of the trolling motor did work, but still needed some sort of glue to hold it onto the shaft securely so it wouldn't bind as the trolling motor was raised and lowered. 

Good luck.

Matt

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
I should of made clear what I have and what I want now, I have my old 2D 480 eagle graph up front on the Minnkota troll motor (connected by the universal adapter hummingbird supplies) I have the humminbird 957DI on the console with the transducer mounted on the back of the boat, it is only a down scan no side scan. Hummingbird is coming out with a new series of much less expensive graphs, (right now they show a universal adapter for the 957DI) for the terrova universal transducer. So Kelly I guess you are saying even the down scan part of my humminbird won't work just the (graph part)??

Hummingbird has come out with the new 581 which is dual beam graph plus down scan and they are only $299 :o so that is what I was looking at putting on the front of the boat off the TM

Matt I looked up that website and saw where the guy ran the new transducer cable up the shaft of the terrova and avoided going out around the motor drive unit to mount the transducer on the bottom of the TM. I knew from talking with the guys at BPS that a side scan unit would not work on the terrova universal puck, puck needs to stick down below the TM to send signal side ways?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 05:05 AM by Fishless »
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline Metalbndr

Bruce,
I have the terrova with the Universal 2 sonar.   When I researched what sonar reader to put on the front.  The only one i could find that used the two sonar frequencies that the Universal sonar put out was the Humminbird  596c HD.  It does not have the down imaging capability.  I was not able to find anything that indicates the US2 transducers are suitable for down imaging.

I have some interference from the trolling motor that I am working to get rid of but the graph produces some good images.  It helped Bob and I find the crappie the last two weekends.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
cool thanks for the info

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal