Author Topic: Generators and battery chargers  (Read 3542 times)

Offline o from wi

• AZCA Members
  • snow bird
Generators and battery chargers
« on: February 16, 2013, 07:01 AM »
I remember reading that generators burn out on-board battery chargers. I haven't been to Rosey for a while but I don't recall any power for the campers. I "definitely" need to charge my batteries every night. IF the above is true,,, would it work to attach a 400 watt "inverter" to the 12 volt output on the generator??????? It's either that or get a room at the inn. Any ideas?
Never trust a man who doesn't drink!

Offline freshwater

Re: Generators and battery chargers
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 08:25 AM »
I use a Goal Zero storage unit to keep my trolling mtr. batteries charged. It has a solar panel and a built in inverter. I have a 70 lb. thrust MinnKota (24 volt) on my pontoon. Usually trolling 1 mph or less and our trolling mtr batteries have lasted trolling 4 days and not been empty. I have the battery charger pluged into the Zero unit with the solar panel on all day while fishing. Love it. They are built in Salt Lake and they have a display going at Costco thru Sunday, but they will have another display going at a different Costco in this area. You can go on line under goal Zero and find out where. :3some: :ecomcity:

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 08:38 AM »
The most important thing is a generator/inverter that puts out "clean" power. A perfect sign wave per se.  Spend the extra $$ for a good quality unit.  I've been using a Honda EU2000i with a Dual Pro charger for +5 years now with zero issues charging both my boat batteries & fifth wheel lights/batteries. Portable & QUIET, unlike some of the other thrashing machines out there.

LLL
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 08:41 AM by cousinlll »

wadefisherman

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 11:44 AM »
I thought I had a problem with the generator or on board charger but I had rewired the batteries wrong after swapping one out to start the motor. The Honda is he only way to fly when recharging in the sticks.

Offline 2nafish

• Rather be fishing
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 06:23 PM »
I had the same problems with keeping my batteries charged during long camping trips.  I didn't like having to start my generator to charge my boat batteries when ever I returned to camp.  So, I built a solar panel and installed it on top of my camp trailer. It produces +- 7amps during peak performance.  I then installed a switch and plug outside my camp trailer which is tapped into my charging/battery system in the trailer that is dedicated to my boat battery charging tasks.  I just plug into the camp trailer outlet and run the 12v power to my batteries in my boat.  It will charge and float charge as needed.  It works great and doesn't cost nothing to operate,  I can camp for weeks and use my batteries heavy with confidence knowing they will be charged the next day.
I recommend solar over generator.  Although there is nothing wrong with a good generator, (Honda) to charge batteries, it just cost more to operate/maintenance.   

Offline o from wi

• AZCA Members
  • snow bird
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 07:19 AM »
THANKS! for all the info. Can't put a solar panel on my tent so a generator is the ticket. I checked Greg's list and found 2 EU2000i Honda's. One of the guys I talked to told me he burnt out the inverter on one trying to run an air conditioner. Cost of repair was $750 JUST FOR THE PART! Don't want to chance it.  Buying NEW one. Again THANKS!!
Never trust a man who doesn't drink!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal