Author Topic: Newbie to site, hope to have a report soon. Any suggestions?  (Read 7152 times)

Offline kique482

Hi everyone,

I have been following this site for some time now and finally decided to join in hopes of being able to contribute to the discussion and Crappie Fever.
Usually I fish off a boat and do so so, or I end up on the shore at san Carlos and do good or on the shore at Talkalai and do good.  For some reason Roosevelt from the shore has gotten the best of me.   My best buddy and I will be heading to Rosey Saturday and will be fishing from the shore.  I'm leaning more to fishing the Tonto side of the dam or somewhere in the middle of the lake if I can find access to the water.  Last year and previous years I have fished windy hill area to no avail.  So I am hoping to venture and try something new.  Any thoughts or suggestions for a shore trip would be really appreciated.
Anyways I just wanted to say hi, say i'm going Saturday, and also say a big thank you to all you guys for sharing the info you guys have shared and for what I have learned.  I hope I can return the favor with a report of my own.

Enrique

Offline The Desert Rat

Re: Newbie to site, hope to have a report soon. Any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 07:35 PM »
Our Spring Crappie Fest is this Saturday---we launch around 6 am and weigh in at 3 pm at the Grapevine campground, Coot site--stop in and chat--

Offline kique482

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 07:49 PM »
Cool!  Thanks for the offer.  Are you guys there all weekend or til just after weigh in?
We are leaving Mammoth about 330 so we should be at the lake by 5/530.  i'll try and stop by and say hi.  Hopefully the crappie go shallow by the weekend but I hear its hit or miss regardless.
Thanks again with the offer.

Piscolli

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 07:58 PM »
With the Crappie ready to move up you may find some early spawners. You may want to try around Grapevine, we have done well on the shoreline/ point on the west side of the ramp during past spawns.

Offline Papermouth

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 07:06 AM »
The lake elevation is a little low (still could work) for my recommendation, but the tonto creek inflow is fishable from shore in between Bermuda Flat and Orange Peel Campgrounds on the south shoreline. I'm sorry this information doesn't help you this weekend, but if the water was 5 feet higher or more, that area has casting access to the main channel and is a good place to start. For now, I'd take Piscolli's advice and fish Grapevine!

During the spawn, slip bobber 4-6' down with a minnow, cast out and reeeeeeel in reeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaal slow. Just an idea. 

Good luck!
Have a Crappie Day :thumbsup:

Offline kique482

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 06:02 PM »
Thanks for the heads up on grapevine.  I might have to give it another look.   For right now, we are thinking of starting on the Tonto end then working our way back to the salt end on our way home.  The Tonto end is all new to me to I am all ears.
Have any of you guys ever fished that little cove by the vineyard canyon picnic area on the tonto end or any of those little coves near it?  How bout by Cholla or Horse pasture?
We don't mind strapping on the packs and going for little hikes down the banks if it seems promising.  I figure eventually we'll figure em out and be able to pick one up here and there.  With the spawn being on or off I am planning on covering lot of shore and many different depths. Time to pickup some extra slip bobbers.

BTW as far as the crappie fest goes, when I get to grapevine, who do I ask for or who will be in the area to look for?  Figure we will be in that area after mid day unless we have a change in plans.

Enrique

Offline IAMMAC

• AZCA Members
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 09:11 PM »
Kique,

Most of them are already out there so you may not get a response.  Since I am here in Afghanistan and not able to fish it I'll give you the short answer.  There is usually ALWAYS someone at the campsite so park and go to the Ramada and have a seat, drink a beverage and wait for the people who are fishing to return.  It really is a friendly bunch and they are very welcoming to new people/members.

Offline kique482

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 10:15 PM »
Thanks for the heads up.  Hope all is ok for you in Afghanistan. 

Offline IAMMAC

• AZCA Members
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 09:33 AM »
So far all is good,  can't complain.  Only been here a week,  got 6 months left.

wadefisherman

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 08:08 PM »
You r missed bro! I need a partner who fishes in the daytime.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal