Author Topic: minnow buckets  (Read 7116 times)

Offline kicked back

minnow buckets
« on: April 03, 2013, 08:40 PM »
I'm wondering if some of you peoples could talk about what you use...home made, store bought, old school, etc. A lot of them are better used in cooler climates than ours so that makes a difference. I have a floater that is put in the lake but later on when the water warms... what types are preferred? I have a 2 inch thick styro foam chest with 2 in lid that would be perfect but just don't know what aerator to get. Any ideas will be appreciated and thanks.
" Life is hard, it's harder if your stupid"

Offline Fish Hawk

• AZCA Members
Re: minnow buckets
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 08:50 PM »
I use the $10 minnow bucket from with a $40 12v air pump from BPS. Minnows last for days with change of water and adding ice.

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 09:46 PM »
Yellow and white minnow bucket that has some sort of cheapo insulation around it.  What keeps them alive though is the 12v air pump - works great and no more D batteries.  Coming from the midwest, we just hung it over the side of the boat but I learned real quick when it gets warmer here they don't last as long.  They need oxygen!

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 03:03 AM »
This is the one I have:  http://www.dryhandsminnowbucket.com/  works pretty good.  I'll connect it to the 12V air pump that I plan on winning this weekend   :greengrin: :bootyshake:

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 06:07 AM »
I used to use the Yellow floating minnow bucket all the time until I kept taking off on plane in the boat and wondering what the big wave was I was pushing off the side of the boat :o. I bought one of the small coleman ice chests (like 12" x 8"x 8" high) it is insulated and has a top that can be locked in place. Drilled a small hole in the top where my aireator line feeds down into the chest. On hot days just a couple pieces of ice and the water stays cool, is stable so it won't fall over in the boat works great and keeps minnows alive all day even on a hot July day.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline The Desert Rat

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 08:03 AM »
Fishless---I believe you have the best solution !! I have a large Yeti Best cooler on the market--with this adea, I will get a small Yeti and do the same-- GREAT Input

Offline Art Chamberlin

• AZCA Members
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 02:40 PM »
I use a 28 quart Igloo I bought at WalMart for $17 and  hook on a Frabill oxygenator and it works very good. Be sure to leave your lid cracked open except when your on plane.......Art

Offline kicked back

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 08:19 PM »
 :headbang:I think I messed up! what type/brand/model AERATORS are you using...a lot of reviews and some not so good has left me unsure what to buy? Thanks again :dance:
" Life is hard, it's harder if your stupid"

Offline IAMMAC

• AZCA Members
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 09:14 PM »
Fishless---I believe you have the best solution !! I have a large Yeti Best cooler on the market--with this adea, I will get a small Yeti and do the same-- GREAT Input

Gonna be an expensive minnow bucket!

Offline kique482

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 10:21 PM »
My buddy bought us a minnow bucket at sportsmans last week.  Not sure which one it is but I has an aerator attached to it that runs on batteries I think. 
I will find out which one he got us and let you all know how it works out.

I am sure you all already know, but when my uncle had a little sporting good store and he would sell minnows, he would add a ton of ice to get the water as cold as possible without killing the minnows.  Forgot the reason but if I recall it had something to do with slowing em down which meant less oxygen used and less stress.  I usually add like 1/4 to 1/2 a bag of ice to my bucket.  I hate wasting money on dead bait. 

Kique

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal