Author Topic: Night Time Crappie Fishing  (Read 10578 times)

Offline SAM-RAI

• SAM-RAI Racing
Night Time Crappie Fishing
« on: April 12, 2013, 12:51 AM »
Any of you boys going out to Rosy or Alamo for night time crappie bite yet?

I'm thinking about hitting Rosy or maybe Alamo for the night bite next week or two after getting my engine Power Pack replace.
The awaken soul now helping humanity in the ascension process. Wake up, humans!
www.humancolony.org   /   www.girk-fit-niir.com

Offline Yukonleft

Re: Night Time Crappie Fishing
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 10:52 AM »
Meriwether and I are headed out to Rosey tonight.  I'll let you know the score upon our return.

YL

Offline sparkchaser

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 11:47 AM »
Good luck out there, wishing my boat was here now, not in 6 weeks.....
SEA.....HAWKS....

Offline SAM-RAI

• SAM-RAI Racing
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 01:24 PM »
Do indeed let us know afterward, YL.

Good luck!
The awaken soul now helping humanity in the ascension process. Wake up, humans!
www.humancolony.org   /   www.girk-fit-niir.com

Offline Yukonleft

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 02:14 PM »
Sorry.  Bloody tired yesterday...never got online.

My brother and I fished all night...literally. We launched at the Badger ramp...I think it was the Badger ramp...dunno all the names, anyroad...we launched at 7PM as the sun left.  Puttered around in that cove next to Windy Hill for a while as we rigged and adjusted.  Eric caught one as we drifted around...in about 35' of water about 6' down.  He had a double rig with a BBC at the terminal tipped with a minnow, then a plain hooked minnow about 18" up...crappie hit the jig...small female.

So we let the wind push us around that cove...then went a trolled the cliffs for a bit....fished with a floating light...not one other bite. 

We motored over to Sally Mae...I guess it was around 11PM...I don't wear a watch when I'm fishing.  About 9 boats spread out in various areas in the cove.  We staked a spot...anchored...put out the floating light.  We had one of the biggest balls of minnows and shad I've ever seen...and I'd watch them pulse, then disappear...and I knew there was a predator about.  With 4 rods out and 6 hooks in the water all night, I was only able to catch one more small female.  I'd fish for 20 or 30min and then switch a jig body, or depth, or placement, etc.  Could never get on the pattern.  2 Crappie...the whole go.

Left the cove about 9AM after a coupla hours sleep.  I'm really starting to wonder if I know what I'm doing.  I really thought we were gonna get into some fish this time...especially with E catching one so quickly.

Both small females were full of eggs.  Eric's fish was very aggressive..., but I had to be right on mine.  Caught her on a jig tipped with a minnow at about 6' under a bobber.  The take was VERY slight.

If any of y'all see the big flaw in my technique, please feel free to warn me. 

YL

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 04:27 PM »
you may of done everything right :dontknow: some nights you go out fishing and it is on fire the next night same place and nothing :dontknow: some of the guys from the club fished two nights up at rosy last week before the SCF one night was great the next night it was slow?

did you see or hear anyone else in the group in salome catching fish? Keep trying you will hit it right :headbang:
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

wadefisherman

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 04:35 PM »
We're you trying different depths? Sometimes they'll be just under the lights or they will be deep. 10 - 12' is we're I catch most of my fish.

Offline Tacoma Guy

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 08:23 PM »
Yukon,

I hear you.  I have struggled with crappie at Roosevelt the last several years.   I would have done the same thing you did man, and had the same results.  Sounds like you tried everything other than changing the depths (maybe).  I also wonder if the large amount of shad present at the lake (never seen so many balls of shad as I have this year) is affecting the bite.  Some guys have done well it seems, but just not seeing the large amount of reports I guess I was expecting to see this year out of Roosevelt.

Offline Yukonleft

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 11:39 AM »
I did try different depths, but I probably didn't try enough. 

I betcha they were below the baitfish.  I'm really not accustomed to fishing in water that deep...gotta figure that out.

I didn't hear or see anybody else catching any.  That doesn't mean anything.  Everybody we talked to had either not caught any, or they were fishing for bass...or both.

Well, I appreciate the feedback.  I'm almost sure they were deeper than I was fishing.  Hindsight being what it is.

Thanks!  Good luck out there!

-YL

Offline AZfisherdude

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 07:32 PM »
I have been out on Rosy with excellent shad balls around us and no bites. My buddy threw a cast net to get some shad one time and up comes a crappie. Sometimes the shad will work better that the minnows if you can catch them.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal