Author Topic: Barlett lake-Canoe Access  (Read 5452 times)

Offline localboy

Barlett lake-Canoe Access
« on: April 21, 2013, 12:51 PM »

Question - For anyone who fishes from a canoe or kayak, is there a 4x4 road that ends up near Echo/Crappie coves? If you enter the lake at its furthest standard dirt ramp-Bartlett Flats, it is still a long trip up the lake to any crappie fishing coves in the "No Ski Area". There are vehicle trails visible on Google Earth but I'm not sure if they are navigable or if they have been blocked by the forest service?

Thanks

PS - Went out yesterday and did not have much luck. One small bass and a catfish. Tried fishing with lights for the first time. Lots of shad & minnows but no crappie. It seems to me the lake level went up 6-8 ft since an earlier trip this month. I don't think that helps the fishing in the short term. Not sure what it does to the spawn?

Offline ArZFisher

Re: Barlett lake-Canoe Access
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 04:23 PM »
I did notice google earth that before you make last long right turn going to yellow cliffs launch that their are two washes on left side that will run you all the back to river. You end up right across from crappie cove and not far for echo. I personal have never been down but it shows them both connecting together at one point then goes to river. Today I saw some tents setup over where you'll end up if its passable. Next time I'm out their ill get a mile marker # for ya. If you familiar with lake it's the wash that goes into SB Cove just right of the launch ramp.

Offline ArZFisher

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 04:25 PM »
Hers a pic of where wash is.  You might be able to turn down from road going to flats

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 05:07 PM »
those wash roads are closed to vehicle access after the brush fire several years ago and TNF has never opened them back up if you get caught in there it is a big $$ citation. that road that runs up the side of the lake on the south side up toward echol etc. is under water now so you cant drive very far up that way?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline ArZFisher

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 06:25 PM »
those wash roads are closed to vehicle access after the brush fire several years ago and TNF has never opened them back up if you get caught in there it is a big $$ citation. that road that runs up the side of the lake on the south side up toward echol etc. is under water now so you cant drive very far up that way?

Well damn. At least we know now. And ya I don't think you can go around on shore. Was out their today and its higher than I have ever seen personally. It almost like their is no more shore cause so high.

Offline localboy

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 10:03 PM »

Thanks ARZFISHER & FISHLESS.

I was looking at an old dirt road a short distance from the wash you suggested, see attached. The road closure would be a typical illogical government reaction. Shut down a 4x4 road because of a fire years ago. Now a man in a canoe competes with a $50k ski boat going 100mph. Between the boom boxes and 200HP outboards, I'll need to bring my ear plugs to fish. So much for peace and tranquility.

Offline ArZFisher

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 11:21 PM »
Might check and see if their is a road from road going to horseshoe

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 04:48 AM »
welcome to bartlett lake, there are a lot of "lake lice" at the lake with the wake board boats and loud music, gets old after a while. I think the road you are showing is the road to devils hole up at the top end of the lake? :dontknow: can't remember the forest road number but it is closed off with a gate, closed off the paved bartlett lake road. I have duck hunted that upper area through the years and every road that I know of that accesses the upper end of bartlett or the river is shut down and when I fish the upper end of the lake I always look to see if there are vehicle tracks and most of the wash roads are all overgrown with no signs of vehicles in there? The only road open that I know of is the road to horseshoe lake itself other than that nothing is open, there is talk of opening that forest service road to devils hole but don't think it has been worked on in years as far as overgrowth and wash outs do to rain etc.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline ArZFisher

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 09:58 AM »
That figures. I was out on Friday night and they had so many fires going it was crazy. But they can't open roads cause of fires. I understand maybe thy want the land to regrow. Closing area due to burn is redicious to me. I'm really surprised they allows fires in park but won't let a truck drive around to back of river. It seems like the government agencies are closing some of the most beautiful places off cause some people out their are idiots. Can't really go any where now that's remote and off beaten trail without a hassle. Localboy if u planing a trip and I'm going out I would be glad to run you up river in boat. Either pulling you along at a slow steady speed or maybe you could throw canoe/kayak on my boat. Won't hurt boat it's an ole 1960 starcraft aluminum 16 ft. it sounds like we like to fish same areas. Just an idea thou

Offline localboy

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 08:30 PM »
Thanks for the offer ARZFISHER,

I think the best long term solution is for me to discuss this with AZ Game&Fish. Common sense should govern our natural resources rather than extremist. We don't need trails crisscrossing every square inch of desert but there should be a few well defined trails with a purpose. Maybe someone in AZG&F will listen to reason.

Good luck with the fishing

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal