Author Topic: Amendments to the 2014 fishing regs  (Read 8096 times)

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
Amendments to the 2014 fishing regs
« on: September 19, 2013, 11:22 AM »
Not sure if this has been brought up in any of the posts recently, but is anyone aware of the limit placed on crappie at Bartlett and Roosevelt starting January 1, 2014?

I'm not sure if this is per boat or angler as there was only a little blurb on the page I read.
Finally, the amendment that received the most public support was the reduction of the crappie daily bag limit from unlimited to 15 daily at Bartlett and Roosevelt lakes.

I found this information on the AZGFD website.
http://azgfd.net/artman/publish/NewsMedia/Commission-approves-a-dozen-amendments-to-fishing-regulations.shtml

Offline Papermouth

Re: Amendments to the 2014 fishing regs
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 12:30 PM »
Here is the post that discussed it back in June.
http://www.azcrappie.com/forum/index.php/topic,1864.0.html

To my knowledge (after reading the regs):
15 crappie per angler fishing license, daily. 30 crappie total in possession, including those in your freezer (technically). This may be argued and I have heard it would be a stretch to get cited for it. 
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm not sure if I like the amendment or not, if it increases catch rates and populations size, I'm absolutely and obviously for it. But, I haven't seen scientific data to prove either way..

I can say this:

10 years ago I DID catch more than 15 keeper crappie/day on several occasions per year. The last two years, I have only had a handful or two of more than 15 keeper crappie/days. So with that, maybe there is a need for change.
I do not mind stopping at 15 and releasing thereafter. 15 is a great day, bottom line.

Scenarios affecting me:

1) 2014, I catch 15 crappie and they are in my livewell, I then catch #16. The size of that 16th fish may replace one of the initial 15, but because I am unable to return any one of the original 15 fish back to the lake, back #16 goes into the water.. if I catch my 3lb mount crappie (#16) I've been waiting for my entire life, I cannot keep it! (FISHING REGS, PG. 9) O'well, right? Just a scenario, and farfetched at that! But this would be a case I wouldn't be a fan of the amendment.

2) Good years produce fish. The fish end up in my freezer. Theoretically, in 2014 I could catch my 30 fish in a weekend (did I mention "theoretically?" :ecomcity:). Point being- I like to keep a supply of fish in the freezer, that I primarily catch in the spring time, over the course of several hard earned weekends.. I have a couple of fish fries each year that require lots of fish and I will not be able to continue them without breaking or at least stretching the law. Note: These fish fries include family and others who not have the privelage to catch them like I do.

3) Night fishing - how in the hell am I going to keep track of one of those good ol' crappie nights we have either had or dreamed of? Picture proof the following morning is going to be.. flawed!  :lol_hitting:

Please Note: These are entirely mute points based on my own selfish crappie needs, assuming catch rates for others go up and it makes the experience more enjoyable for more fishermen. I just hope that's the case!

Have a Crappie Day :thumbsup:

Offline sandman

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 08:04 PM »
Night fish. 8pm - 4am. Two daily limits.

wadefisherman

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 08:33 PM »
Not a big deal, we always fish with 2 or guys in the boat anyway. I never like cleaning more than 30 anyway. Hopefully this will lead to more catching & less searching on those 2 lakes. 😛 I wish they put Alamo on the list, that lake has been hammered by the snow birds.

Offline Fish Hawk

• AZCA Members
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 04:53 AM »
Can I just catch 15 crappie...... Oh ya I'd have to go fishing first.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 05:30 AM »
Finally, the amendment that received the most public support was the reduction of the crappie daily bag limit from unlimited to 15 daily at Bartlett and Roosevelt lakes

that was from email from g and f, was surprised the (most public support) part when I went to meeting to give my support I was the only one there to talk crappie the rest were the catfishing group that did not want bow hunting (which was approved). I also wanted Alamo  included, I got two different stories on why that didn't happen :dontknow: ( I agree the snow birds beat the hell out of that lake and 75% camp outside the state park boundary and don't pay anything to the state other than a license :( I would like to have seen a minimum size on crappie to deter the snow birds from keeping crappie that still have egg shells on them.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

wadefisherman

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 05:42 AM »
Good points Bruce, is there anyway to try to get those amendments added? 10" minimum should be a no brainer for all lakes.

Offline redmule

• Alamo Slabs...
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 07:01 AM »
Catch 14, then catch and release...  If you catch that bruiser, you can keep him...    :3some:
Store frozen fish with a buddy that doesn't fish...     :3some:
I do like this new reg...   
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of
snakebite...  Furthermore always carry a small
snake.

Chris H

Offline Papermouth

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 07:28 AM »
Catch 14, then catch and release...  If you catch that bruiser, you can keep him...    :3some:
Store frozen fish with a buddy that doesn't fish...     :3some:
I do like this new reg...

You're spot on with the stop at 14 deal!
And that storing fish in my buddys freezer is that law stretching I was talking about!!  :lol_hitting:
Have a Crappie Day :thumbsup:

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 04:00 PM »
Good points Bruce, is there anyway to try to get those amendments added? 10" minimum should be a no brainer for all lakes.

I think Chris C. the new fisheries boss said he didn't want to push to much agenda for crappie etc. at one time. They review fishing regs every two years so I am thinking the next chance to change the minimum size would be in two years? at least it is a start.--- I will ask about that :dontknow:

the one problem is you can change all the rules they want, if there is no enforcement it don't work. I in all my gazzilion years of fishing bartlett lake have never seen a g and f boat or been checked, heck hardly ever see a sheriffs boat on the lake. Alamo is probably the most patrolled lake I have been around this state. Roosevelt will have patrol boats from both sheriff (who will ck fishing licenses) and g and f patrol boats on that lake.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal