Author Topic: Alamo 4/28-5/2  (Read 4788 times)

Offline TRITOON

Alamo 4/28-5/2
« on: May 03, 2014, 06:11 PM »
We finally made the trip to Alamo on Monday, it was good to be back up there after three years but could have picked a better time to go. The wind blew so hard the first three days we didn't even try to get out. We just stayed in camp and tried to keep things from blowing away. The report from the store was that crappie had shut off and only two had been caught in the last week. We got out on Thursday at first light and headed towards the dam to fish the rocks. The bass and catfish were very hungry and we could have loaded up the boat with those but it was crappie we were after. Not a single bump from a crappie the entire day. Friday we went to the coves across from Cholla and started trolling the points with nothing to show for the efforts. I finally put on a Shell Cracker Slab Daddy and got some attention right away. We wound up with 5 very nice crappie that were full of eggs. All were caught on either the Slab Daddy or this funky orange and green ugly thing Patty put on. Seemed like the orange was the ticket. Talked to several others that had not seen a crappie in many days so we felt good about our results. Water temps started out at 68 in the morning and climbed to 73 in the late afternoon. Water is pretty low but we launched with no problems. Sure felt good to be back.
GOD BLESS

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
Re: Alamo 4/28-5/2
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 07:32 PM »
glad you finally got to fish, I was going to go glad I didn't after your wind report, where did you end up launching?

amazing females still have eggs in May, goofy year to say the least

thanks for the report
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline TRITOON

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 09:00 PM »
We launched at the temporary ramp they have set up past the parking lot of the main ramp.  Nice solid base and a perfect drop off, parking is good for about a dozen rigs, with the main lot close not bad at all.  Bruce thanks for the info before the trip. Even with the wind it was a great time.
GOD BLESS

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 05:26 AM »
cool thanks, more wind predicted this week through Wednesday :angry4:
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline Fish Hawk

• AZCA Members
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 07:24 AM »
I'll bet it was good to get back on the water. thanks for the report.

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 09:42 AM »
Way to go guys!! 

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 11:52 AM »
those slab daddys look like the old maribou crappie jigs :dontknow:

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 02:10 PM »
We launched at the temporary ramp they have set up past the parking lot of the main ramp.  Nice solid base and a perfect drop off, parking is good for about a dozen rigs, with the main lot close not bad at all.

Wade, we're taking about a temp ramp along the main road past the store not the Cholla area correct?

Offline TRITOON

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 03:01 PM »
Yes the Slab Daddy does remind me of the maribu jugs which I still use quite often, just can't get away from the old ways.
Larry, yes the temp ramp is past the main ramp parking lot just stay between the two barrels and it is a perfect ramp. We had no issues at all.
I need to get an air conditioner installed in my tent so I can go back up there. That lake is in my blood and I always enjoy my time up there.
GOD BLESS

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal