Author Topic: Batteries and the options  (Read 11166 times)

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
Batteries and the options
« on: June 24, 2015, 12:20 PM »
The batteries I have in my Triton are around 5-6 years old. I haven't used them in 3-4 years, so I'm just going to assume they're done. When I bought batteries before I would just go up and find the "Marine Batteries" at Auto Zone and buy the one that resembled the numbers on my current batteries. Well, I've moved, shuffled, and somehow discarded one of my batteries and now I have no idea where what battery goes where...

After doing some research I saw that there are Deep Cycle,  Starting, and Dual-Purpose. I've always bought the Dual-Purpose because, well, I didn't know there were other types of battery options. Now I've reached a point where I want to make sure I'm getting the best batter for the purpose I'll be using them and was hoping to get some good input from everyone here.

:sign0144:
The set-up in my Triton is 1 starter battery and two 12-volt batteries for my trolling motor. Should I continue with getting Dual-Purpose batteries, or should I look into getting 1 starter battery to start and run the boat, and 2 deep cycle batteries for the trolling motor?

Offline sandman

Re: Batteries and the options
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 12:50 PM »
I have had the best luck with application specific (start/troll) batteries. Never saw a dual purpose battery.

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 12:54 PM »
I have had the best luck with application specific (start/troll) batteries. Never saw a dual purpose battery.

I did a little bit more research after doing this and I'm thinking that getting the deep cycle will be the best option for my trolling motor batteries. However, I'm still unsure about my starter battery. I typically run my stereo when I'm out in the boat and just sitting around. This pulls power from my starter battery, so this ends up draining the battery a little bit when I'm not running the motor.

It makes me think that maybe I should get the Dual Purpose for my starter, or I have to learn to not listen to my radio. I'm not sure I could handle that much silence when I'm fishing.  :P

Offline Papermouth

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 01:04 PM »
My .02 and situation:

I've always been told it's best to run deep cycle for trolling motors, especially at slow continuous speeds like we run for crappie. I bought 2 Interstate deep cycles from Costco for about $80 each to run my 24v.

I run a 3 bank on-board, charge as soon as I get home for 24 hours and the night before I leave to go boating.
These are the longest batteries have lasted for me and they still seem to be in great shape 4 years later.
Have a Crappie Day :thumbsup:

Offline Papermouth

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 01:06 PM »
I don't need much to crank so I just run a deep cycle for my outboard and 12v accessories. For your OB, a dual purpose would be ideal I would think.

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 01:09 PM »
I'm glad you brought up the Costco Interstate batteries because I was going to look into those as well. I bought my truck battery there a few weeks ago and while the price was somewhat comparable, the warranty was incredible. I was curious how that warranty and quality compared to the regular batteries.

I have an On-Board charging system as well. I always got it plugged in as soon as I got home and then once again when I was going to leave for a trip.

I don't need much to crank so I just run a deep cycle for my outboard and 12v accessories. For your OB, a dual purpose would be ideal I would think.

I have the Optimax 225, so I probably need quite a bit of cranking amps to get that thing started so a DC might be out of the question. The DP has always seemed to work for me, so I'll probably look into that.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 01:19 PM by PhishingPhreek »

Offline Papermouth

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 01:16 PM »
I had a couple lines in my first post that I deleted about how great Costco is. They will return just about anything so I have a ton of confidence in buying there.

Admittedly, I didn't used to take care of my tires and batteries as well as I do today, I brought back one of my deep cycles a few years ago when it took a crap and they replaced it for free, didn't ask if I neglected them or anything. If I was rich maybe I'd go with Optimas or something fancy but for now, all plans lead to continue buying Interstate batteries at Costco.

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 01:24 PM »
That's awesome to know. This truck battery was the first Costco battery I ever purchased. When they told me it has a 3 year full replacement warranty and then the replacement ALSO has a 3 year full replacement warranty, I thought I would be stupid not to get that.

I'll stop by Costco tonight or tomorrow and check out their prices. You said you spent $80, but when I did a quick glance I saw a marine batteries for $120. Could have been a bigger batter, but I'll see. Thanks for the input.

Offline Papermouth

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 01:30 PM »
 :thumbsup:

I bought them 4 years ago now, I'm certain I did not hit the $200 mark out the door, hope that's the case for you too.

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 01:51 PM »
Yes, go deep cycle for your trolling motor you don't need dual purpose.  For the starter motor, the radio won't pull much unless you have a really power hungry stereo.  I go with a starter motor as it has high cold cranking amps (CCA) and that's what you need.  If you get dual purpose or starter, the most important (I think) is make sure you get sufficient CCA that your motor needs so search that online or manual to see what it recommends.

Here is a previous thread:
http://www.azcrappie.com/forum/index.php/topic,1911.15.html

In the end I bought the deep cycles from Wal-Mart larger size and they've worked great.  I forget what I bought for the starter if it was Wal-Mart or not.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal