Author Topic: Cleaning Cork Handles  (Read 4579 times)

Piscolli

Cleaning Cork Handles
« on: February 02, 2011, 10:35 AM »
I have always used fine grit sand paper. A friend at work told me to try a SOS pad. Other guy told me to try baby wipes.

What do you guys use?

Offline Fish Hawk

• AZCA Members
Re: Cleaning Cork Handles
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 06:02 PM »
nothing

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 07:40 PM »
me to, gives them the used look (like I actually ever catch a fish :()
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline menrats

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 06:39 AM »
notta. are you a neatfreak my freind, is there a little jerry seinfeld in that large frame. or is it just the fishing fever workin ot.

Piscolli

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 08:13 AM »
Neatfreak, nah. I just hate when they get old and start to feel slick.

T.K.O n Da Crappie

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 04:12 PM »
Bill,

I use a BRAND NEW Blue or Green sponge with the pot scrubber on the back side and Dawn dish washing soap. The scrubber isn't too abrasive to damage the cork and the Dawn soap cuts the oils, fish slime and other stuff that builds up and leaves the cork looking dirty and grimy. If you have too, scrub lightly, rinse, then repeat a couple times until the desired new look is achieved.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how well they come right back to life and look like new.

This can also be done on the neoprene/foam handles. I sometimes use a little scrub brush on those to get the deep rooted stuff out. Something like your wife uses to scrub under her nails. It works really well and gets rid of all the smells that the foam handles retain.

TKO

:D

Offline onthefly

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 08:14 AM »
Bill,

I use a BRAND NEW Blue or Green sponge with the pot scrubber on the back side and Dawn dish washing soap. The scrubber isn't too abrasive to damage the cork and the Dawn soap cuts the oils, fish slime and other stuff that builds up and leaves the cork looking dirty and grimy. If you have too, scrub lightly, rinse, then repeat a couple times until the desired new look is achieved.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how well they come right back to life and look like new.

This can also be done on the neoprene/foam handles. I sometimes use a little scrub brush on those to get the deep rooted stuff out. Something like your wife uses to scrub under her nails. It works really well and gets rid of all the smells that the foam handles retain.

TKO

:D

+1 and make sure the cork is good an wet at all times to reduce the risk of damaging the cork, note; I found the green and yellow 3M pads work the best

« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 08:17 AM by onthefly »

Offline JigNPig

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 03:49 PM »
For yeaars I have used toothpaste and a toothbrush. They came out like new. Last year however, I used Blast degreaser from Wally world. Spray it on a rag and wipe it on and off with a clean rag and they are just like new and have an orance scent for a few days. they are also not slippery after the cleaning. Very quick.

Offline sandman

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 10:50 AM »
Rubbing alcohol works. So does GoJo or Fast Orange.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal