Author Topic: Eating Alamo crappies  (Read 3118 times)

Offline nickt

Eating Alamo crappies
« on: February 24, 2020, 09:03 PM »
What everyone thought of eating crappies from Alamo lake?
Talk with the local about the fish consume advisory the state put out.
The locals is not so concern about the mercury warning. They have been eating crappies from the lake for so many years and they don’t  feel any different.
They said they state put out the advisory to cover there ass, just in case someone do get sick.
The fish we catch do look healthy and don’t show any sign of decease.
The sword fish/halibut and other big fish has the highest mercury level and people still fish/buy them to eat.

The EPA safe guideline to eat is .12 to .14 ppm parts per millions.
Sword fish-halibut and bass-walley has .5 to 1.0 ppm.

So, with all this info out there.
Let’s hear the good and the bad... :happy1: :happy1:

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
Re: Eating Alamo crappies
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 12:43 AM »
This will be short and sweet...

That warning has never concerned me. I'm not sure it's bothered most people I know. There will be plenty of other chiming in that have a more interesting take on it. I'm too tired to get creative RN.

Offline Fish Hawk

• AZCA Members
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 07:30 AM »
We've all been eat those fish for many years. Maybe that's why that thing started growing out my side  :dontknow: you can always throw the fish you catch back and we'll eat them.   

Offline Sam Rector

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 08:26 AM »
Methylmercury: while there are some data showing cardiovascular issues in men, the most sensitive populations are women who are, or could become pregnant, and young children.  Methylmercury can cause severe neurological impairment in children if consumed by the mother during pregnancy or by the child during early (preadolescent) brain development. 
Basically: please be very careful if you have members of these sensitive populations in your family.   

This is what I do: http://www.azdeq.gov/fca

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 08:05 PM »
It appears more of an issue for young children or pregnant women.  I eat it twice a year at the big club events otherwise I toss back what I catch or donate to other club members who want it. I also warm my family members when we go fishing of the advisory and let them make their own choice. I'd also think those with low grade mercury poisoning probably won't even notice as it gets worse, e.g. symptoms of concentration issues and other neurological disorders at low grade probably would be tough to identify root cause is the fish you've been eating.  It's everyone's choice of course I tend to side with the scientists who posted the warnings, but don't judge those who disregard them.

Offline crappiewannabe

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 05:09 AM »
I have had near logicl deficits for a log time - you can ask my wife.I would just like to let you know, wait , what were we talking about? Anyway, will be eating thoe fish til I die. Accepting all throwback fish as I am some sort of throwback myself. (you can ask my wife)Will be fishing Bartlett Wed afternoon. Will get bak w\ you guys later. Thanks for all reports.
Dave in Cornville  - Crappiewannabe.

Offline Tweeder

• AZCA Members
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2020, 02:15 AM »
I'm more like Matt, I will eat at the event(s) but with young kids I don't bring any home from Alamo. 

Offline IAMMAC

• AZCA Members
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2020, 10:15 AM »
Gotta die of something......At least all of your friends will know you were a great fisherman!

Offline craigm

• AZCA Members
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2020, 04:51 PM »
Gotta die of something......At least all of your friends will know you were a great fisherman!
  X2 !!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal