Author Topic: Pre-Spawn At Roosevelt  (Read 3700 times)

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
Pre-Spawn At Roosevelt
« on: March 08, 2011, 07:47 AM »
Well, some of us are heading up to Roosevelt this weekend.  From the last few reports, it seems like the crappie may not be at their usual location at Schoolhouse Pt buoys or possibly moving towards pre-spawn areas.  I've never crappie fished in AZ now through the rest of the year so I'm wondering how to fish those crappie that have possibly moved in closer to shore but not yet in spawn areas.  Would I be wasting my time heading near the shallows of less than 10ft this early in the year?  I guess I'm wondering what depths and structure I should be looking for if I don't find them at 12-15' in 35' of water near Schoolhouse.  I have my Fish-n-Map with GPS points, but want to spend time on the waypoints applicable for this time of year.  Water temp I'm guessing is 55-ish(?) and will warm up fairly fast with 80s expected Wed and on.  I'm assuming I should still try slow trolling with 2 jigs but possibly move to slightly shallower depths at mouths of coves maybe.

Piscolli

Re: Pre-Spawn At Roosevelt
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 08:40 AM »
I don't think that heading into shallow water is a waste of time but it may be a little early. I'd bet that's what Fishless is going to do and he has done well in years past.

I will be looking more at the months of coves on the north shoreline from SH and probably further up in the river. But first I'll see how the flotilla is doing.

Offline sandman

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 08:50 AM »
Pretty much the same game plan here except we will be casting also at some of the steeper shorelines.

Offline Rocko

• ahhhh
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 10:23 AM »
I'll try to stay out of your way Bill.  Something tells me that you know what your doing when it comes to catching crappie.  Thanks for all of the info!  I I'm takeing my old man up to Roosevelt Sat-Wed or untill we fill our ice chest with crappie.  My plan is to follow your advise.  We'll be in the cammo bass tracker, so let me know if I'm fishing too close.  :notworthy:

I think this 88 degree weather must warm up the water fast and the fish should be spawning when we get there. Let's all hope the fish decide to cooperate!

All fishing is good, but catching is much better!  ;D
Rocky

Offline Art Chamberlin

• AZCA Members
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 12:52 PM »
I'm at a loss right now but I think Piscolli is on the right track. I'm hoping to make it Saturday a.m. but will be at the meeting for sure......Art

Piscolli

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 07:38 PM »
Rocko, I will be with Fish Hawk our VP in his,,,, well Fish Hawk. I'll be the good looking guy in the back. White fishing shirt with a tan full brim Tully.

I wouldn't look for spawning yet. Overnight lows are what really change surface temps. Plus the next full moon is 9 days aways.

I think the next moon will really get them crackin. But we all know that they don't all spawn on the same moon so you might find bed fish by mid week.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal