Author Topic: C.A.S.T. For Kids Sunday, March 3rd at Lake Pleasant  (Read 1503 times)

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
C.A.S.T. For Kids Sunday, March 3rd at Lake Pleasant
« on: January 27, 2024, 12:10 PM »
Hey all, they are doing the C.A.S.T. For Kids event again this year, Sunday, March 3rd, 2024 at Lake Pleasant. They need volunteers on shore or boat to make it happen as they usually have more interest from kids than boaters. A few Arizona Crappie Association members did this last year and feedback was very positive of the event.  Go here for the link to register: https://castforkids.org/event/lakepleasant/

Please don't delay in registering as late registration makes it very difficult for the event organizers and families to plan and run the event.

This is a C.A.S.T. for Kids event designed to provide children with disabilities, ages 6 – 18, the opportunity to enjoy a quality outdoor recreational experience through the sport of fishing. Take to the water with C.A.S.T. for an unforgettable morning of fishing and boating!

Boater Volunteer Info: https://castforkids.jotform.com/team/2024-event-forms/lake-pleasant-volunteer-boater-reg

Shore Volunteer Info: https://castforkids.jotform.com/team/2024-event-forms/lake-pleasant-shore-volunteer-reg

For more info, check out their website: https://castforkids.org/event/lakepleasant/

C.A.S.T. for Kids Video: https://youtu.be/zV_bOuN0sgQ

Terry B. Johnson is the C.A.S.T. For Kids Lake Pleasant Coordinator Info:

Email: lakepleasant@castforkids.org
Phone: 602-377-1694

Quote #1: “It made my heart happy to be giving back to families, kids with special needs love doing activities just like everyone else and events like this make that a possibility for families that are either struggling or are afraid to do it alone.” – Shore Volunteer, Lake Pleasant

Quote #2: “The C.A.S.T. for Kids Foundation is wonderful! The event that is put on every year in Arizona (Lake Pleasant) is outstanding – from beginning to end. A big THANK YOU to all who took part (e.g, volunteers, organizers, boat captains, sponsors) in making this event an AMAZING experience!!!! My son looks forward to it every year!”- Parent of Participant, Lake Pleasant
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 07:03 AM by OneBlade »

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
Re: C.A.S.T. For Kids Sunday, March 3rd at Lake Pleasant
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2024, 08:40 AM »
I've signed up as a boat volunteer for Sunday CAST event, and planning on fishing Saturday as well. I reserved Ringtail 501 dry camping at Lake Pleasant Harbor Marina area
Fri, Mar. 1, 2024 through  Mon, Mar. 4, 2024. I'll be leaving on Sunday afternoon but booked Monday as well since I won't be able to packup until mid-afternoon on Sunday.  Come join the fun!
https://www.camplife.com/418/reservation/step1

I wasn't sure about that site # as it didn't show exact location but dry camping much cheaper than full hookups.  If you book a site, let us know site # so we can camp near each other.

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2024, 08:17 AM »
From Terry, the event organizer:
> I am desperately in need of boaters and I do need more Shore Volunteers, especially ones that are experienced at SAFELY backing boats down the ramp and retrieving them.

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2024, 06:54 AM »
Anyone else planning on attending/volunteering?

Offline Stevert

• AZCA Members
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2024, 02:45 PM »
I told Terry a while back I had a total shoulder replacement 2/7 and I would be out.  I may go show up just to help out. 

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2024, 05:06 PM »
This was the first time I've done this event.  I know Dave did it 3 years, I think Stevert did as well, maybe Larry, and maybe others.  This event is well-organized and you show up 7am and by 8:15am you're assigned a child and guardian (or two) to ride on your boat.  You take them out fishing for a couple hours and come back in for lunch around noon, and then stick around for the awards ceremony at the end.  The kids get to talk about their fishing trip and that's kind of fun to hear as some of these kids this is their first time on a boat, first fish they caught, etc.  It's very rewarding for volunteers and the kids.  They had some issues last year with getting boats on the water and so forth.  Not this year, they had people drive your truck/boat and launch as well as pick you up from the boat ramp when done.  Very slick easy peasy.

One guy caught 33 fish, I think mostly bluegill, but what fun for them huh?  I thought Tommy FishMan was there he'd do great getting these kids on fish maybe next year.

We fished on the north side of the lake.  Much of the time was spent teaching the child how to cast and reel in (he was nearly blind) and try out the different techniques he wanted to (big ol' nightcrawler on the new rod and reel they gave him).  We were able to land a crappie using aberdeen hook, split shot, and minnow.  I found that school on LiveScope and dropped the minnow right into the school they couldn't resist. I think we were the only crappie caught as most guys there were targeting bass. Matt Shura was running the awards ceremony and thought ours was a "fish story" when we said we caught a big crappie.  Anyway, fun time hopefully other crappie fishermen and women can help out next year.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal