Author Topic: Walleye Sac Fry in Saguaro, Canyon, and Apache  (Read 359 times)

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
Walleye Sac Fry in Saguaro, Canyon, and Apache
« on: May 22, 2024, 04:42 PM »
Alex Flickinger I&E (Public Affairs/Community Relations at Arizona Game & Fish Department):

Earlier this month, Arizona Game and Fish biologists released over 2 million walleye sac fry into three of the Salt River chain lakes, Saguaro, Canyon and Apache. Through a donation from the Iowa Department of Natural Resources, these walleye came to Arizona that same morning FedEx and were distributed throughout the three bodies of water. This is the third year in a row Iowa DNR has generously donated sac fry which have been previously stocked in Canyon and Apache, this year being the first for Saguaro. Even though these little guys won’t be catchable for a while there is still the potential to catch one of these tasty fish in these beautiful desert lakes.

Offline Tweeder

• AZCA Members
Re: Walleye Sac Fry in Saguaro, Canyon, and Apache
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2024, 07:51 PM »
Thats pretty cool they are doing that on more regular basis. Would be nice to have a decent walleye fishery closer. Funny to while there have always been walleye in those lakes in the hundreds of times I have fished em, never caught an eye. Everyone I know has run into one on accident over the years and I even targeted them a few times but nada. Caught walleye in Show Low, Fools Hollow, lake Mary, and Powell but none in the salt chain.

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2024, 07:19 AM »
Thats pretty cool they are doing that on more regular basis. Would be nice to have a decent walleye fishery closer. Funny to while there have always been walleye in those lakes in the hundreds of times I have fished em, never caught an eye. Everyone I know has run into one on accident over the years and I even targeted them a few times but nada. Caught walleye in Show Low, Fools Hollow, lake Mary, and Powell but none in the salt chain.
I have the same experience, have heard others catch them and I've even tried a decade ago trolling lindy rig up on the way to Roosevelt dam while on Apache Lake and no luck actually catching one. I even saw Johnny Johnson hook up one at Apache awhile back.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2024, 02:49 PM »
Probably 25yrs ago the southwest walleye club would get boxes of walleye fry and some times fingerlings and they were stocked pretty much just in Apache almost yearly? (same time g and f experimented with I believe 3 different species of lake trout?) stocked in the lake. When we fished Apache a lot for smallies and the big yellow bass we caught walleye almost every trip by accident using small spoons or spinners some pretty good size but never concentrated on just fishing for them especially being an AZ native never knew exactly how to target them, but they sure ate good :) we would catch an occasional good size trout also.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2024, 02:54 PM by Fishless »
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline Stevert

• AZCA Members
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2024, 09:16 AM »
I'm thinking LLL caught a few there at Canyon back in the Day? 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal