Author Topic: Boatbuckle 1500lb vs. 3000lb  (Read 4268 times)

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
Boatbuckle 1500lb vs. 3000lb
« on: April 28, 2011, 09:36 PM »
I'm looking to get a pair of new IMCO (Now called IMMI) Boatbuckles to replace the pair I have on my trailer. The only problem I'm having right now is deciding if I should do the "1500 lb capacity" or "3000 LB RATING PER PAIR". I'm really not sure what the weight of my boat is and I'm really not sure how they're determining their measurement. Currently 1 of my straps doesn't work at all and the other one "kinda" works. It seems like I could get away with the 1500, but I would hate to find out I can't after my boat is sitting in the bottom of a cliff on my way to Bartlett.

Has anyone ever bought these and how did you determine which one to buy? For those of you that have seen my boat, you might know better. For anyone else, I have a 21SF Triton with a 225 Merc. outboard on back.

Offline sandman

Re: Boatbuckle 1500lb vs. 3000lb
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 05:21 AM »
They just hold the boat DOWN to the trailer. They are not lifting or pulling so 500# would probably be more than enough. With that said, I would probably buy the heavier ones :).

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 06:08 AM »
if you see most of the stock tie downs for any boat they are not rated for much since as sandman says they just keep the boat from bouncing on the trailer, I like the auto tie downs (ratchet system) push the button and releases and crank them down and they hold good (and they don't fall off)
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline Stevert

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 09:06 AM »
I've got the ratchet type that are mounted to the trailer that retract when released.  They are slick and I would recommend them. 

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 10:19 AM »
Those are the ones I currently have... however in my younger days (about 5 years ago) I dumped my boat into Bartlett from shore and smashed into a rock with one of them which in turn, broke it! So it doesn't "ratchet" anymore. These are mounted (bolted) to my trailer so it's not like I would be getting anything new. I was just wondering if I should get the heavier rated ones over the lighter weighted ones since there's about a $40 difference. I just don't want the boat to fly off the trailer because I broke the strap because I wanted to save 40 bucks, ya know?

Offline Halibut Warrior

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 10:54 AM »
Here's the way I would approach the situation:
*Call a Triton dealer
*Ask what the specs are on the 21 footer.
*Purchase based on that information.

Good Luck,
Joe

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 11:48 AM »
Here's the way I would approach the situation:
*Call a Triton dealer
*Ask what the specs are on the 21 footer.
*Purchase based on that information.

Good Luck,
Joe

I don't know Joe... that seems too simple to me. haha

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 02:44 PM »
Called Complete Marine and spoke with a sales man (because that's where they transferred me to) He didn't have specs or anything on my boat but said he would go look at what they sell because he didn't know there was more than 1 option. They only sell the 5000lb brackets (which is basically the 3000lb brackets from what I was able to find). So I still didn't get my answer, but if Complete Marine only sells the heavier weighted ones then I'm sure that's the ones they installed on the boat originally.

When I said I wasn't interested in buying them from him because his were more expensive than other places I looked he got a little upset and was either being a person who doesn't know how to crack jokes... or just rude. Whatever, don't really care as long as I can get my trailer and transom stabilizer fixed. :)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 02:58 PM by PhishingPhreek »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal