Author Topic: Night Fishing Lights - LED with High Output  (Read 19941 times)

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
Night Fishing Lights - LED with High Output
« on: May 04, 2011, 08:03 AM »
I spoke with someone at the Spring Crappie Fest about converting from my high power halogen floating fishing lights to LED so that I can save battery power, but I don't remember who that was.  This person I think made his own LED floating light so that he could have double or more of the light output than normally sold at stores.  I see Bass Pro Shop has an Optronics version (http://www.basspro.com/Optronics-Floating-Fishing-Light/product/10205364/-1637958) has 7 LED and apparently light is green.  I don't know how bright output that'll be.

Does anyone have recommendations on where I can get LED or fluorescent floating lights with high output light?  Do you think the Optronics version is bright enough?  I already have 1 of those submersible tube lights that I put several feet down and it's green as well.  Should I search for white LED floating lights or is the green one o.k.?

Note: I'll probably use these for crappie but want to use them for stripers at Pleasant or white/yellow bass at Apache.  Not sure if fish type matters on color of the light.

Piscolli

Re: Night Fishing Lights - LED with High Output
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 09:16 AM »
You must have been talking to Louis (Phishing Phreek).

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 09:01 PM »
I talked to quite a few people about the lights I make, but I don't make the ones with LEDs, I make the 4' green fluorescent lights. I could have swore that I had talked to you about it as well at SCF.

The LED lights are awesome if your goal is to reduce battery usage, but if you want to put out more light then 4' lights are the way to go. I own an Aurora, which is probably THE top of the line green LED light on the market, but my 4' fluorescent lights blow it out of the water when it comes to light output. (mostly because it has a 360* angle of light as opposed to the top LED light) I could go into more as to why I opted with the fluorescent over LED in the end, but there were so many minute details between the two the post would be way too long. lol

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 10:24 PM »
Well, earlier today I went to Bass Pro and they didn't sell those LED ones anymore (something about catching on fire).  I ended up buying another 21" tube fluorescent light so I'll have 2 of those at least.  They didn't sell anything longer then that but at least they're less power than the standard floating headlight ones I have.  So it looks like I went the right choice at least. 

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 10:56 PM »
but if you want to put out more light then 4' lights are the way to go. I own an Aurora, which is probably THE top of the line green LED light on the market, but my 4' fluorescent lights blow it out of the water when it comes to light output.

+1 on that!  Bought the Aurora also thinking it's the way to go.  After sitting next to Wild Willie one night at Pleasant seeing all the shad around his fluorescent lights and nada near my Aurora, decided to make my own fluorescent lights and now don't use my Aurora much any more.

Oh, and I have started to write instructions on how I made my green lights - just need to finish it soon and get it posted here for those that have previously asked!!

LLL

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 06:22 AM »
All right, guess I'm not done yet with this light situation.  I'll await instructions on making these 4' lights.

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 10:04 AM »
Be forewarned, making them can get expensive. I spent damn near 350 on my 1st light. It's hard to find parts just to make only 1 light. :-/
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 10:06 AM by PhishingPhreek »

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 10:29 AM »
I guess to really compare here we'd need to compare output lumens or something.  I mean, why can't I just buy 3 21" tube lights giving me 5 total feet of fluorescent lights at total less than $100?  At this point, perhaps my next investment in the boat is iPilot, better trolling motor, fish finder, new boat, etc. all of the really important stuff.   

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 11:03 AM »
It worked out for me making my lights due to the hookup (free as long as I made him one!) I got on the clear PVC.  If I didn't have that hookup, I would of bought them over the internet.  I found the PVC the most expensive part @ $50ish per 8' stick.  So who's got the hookup for clear sch 40 PVC.... :greengrin:

If I remember correctly, $20 for the green f20t12g bulb & $25 for the 12v light ballast so your already at $100.  Then add the PVC cost...

http://www.greenfishlights.com/

LLL
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 11:11 AM by cousinlll »

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 02:36 PM »

If I remember correctly, $20 for the green f20t12g bulb & $25 for the 12v light ballast so your already at $100.  Then add the PVC cost...

Flunked math..... Should be $50!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal