Author Topic: Boat Liability Insurance  (Read 6571 times)

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
Boat Liability Insurance
« on: May 19, 2011, 08:25 PM »
I was looking at a fishing tournament application and it said I needed to have minimum of $300,000 boat liability insurance coverage.  Is this something most boaters have even if they don't do tournaments?  I had never really thought about it but I guess makes sense to protect your assets in case of an accident.

Offline Fish Hawk

• AZCA Members
Re: Boat Liability Insurance
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 05:09 AM »
My old 1996 has full covreage. I think I pay $250 a year.

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 07:03 AM »
So when you say full coverage, are you also talking about boat & motor replacement if they get damaged?  What kind of deductible?  I'd pay for something like that on my '83 Evinrude.  That thing's gotta die in the next few years, right?  Of course, insurance probably would only pay me what it was worth (nothing) instead of what it would cost to replace with a new one ($4000).

Offline Fish Hawk

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 03:03 PM »
If I remember right, its just like auto insurance. I would have to look it up.

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 03:36 PM »
I just checked my USAA insurance and they refer me to Progressive.  They have a pretty good wizard allowing me to enter all of the info/options and get an estimate.  It makes sense for me to get at least liability insurance so that I'm not at risk in case something bad on the lake happens.  Plus, at a certain point, they throw in towing coverage in case something happens on the road and for a little more, include boat tow coverage as well.  Regardless, for my 1983, it was still around $125 to $175 per year depending on the options.  I can spend that much fairly quickly with boat supplies, reel, camping gear, etc. Makes complete sense to me to get it (I'm not a risk taker really).

Offline yandrew8

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 05:25 PM »
Progressive is great, they don't treat your boat like a car, they actually cover the gear in the boat.  They are also great for RV insurance as well.  There costs are low and the coverage exceeds everybody else.

wadefisherman

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 09:50 PM »
Ditto on Progressive. 170 bucks a yr for my rig.

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 10:26 PM »
bought it.

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 02:51 PM »
Just updated my insurance for my boat.  I have comprehensive and collision with low deductible.  I was wondering if others have confirmed if normal mounted fish finders fall in the category of permanently fixed or portable.  Reason is they have a "Portable Fishing equipment" item I have no coverage and that would cover things like rods, reels, tackle box, portable fish finder, etc.  Getting portable fishing equipment covered for $1000 with $250 deductible costs me $70/year more - seems a bit high.  I can get a good portion of my zebcos and tackle for the cost of that $250 deductible.

What's the general consensus - pay the extra amount for portable fishing equipment covered?  Obviously I plan to stow away any expensive stuff but may be cases by boat ramp you can't control.

I asked the guy that given my fish finder has hand-tighten screws is that considered portable or not and he said it's not portable - it's part of the fixed unit.

I know someone on this site got stuff stolen - just want to hear from experience.  FYI I use Progressive for USAA members.

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 05:26 PM »
Talk to both your boat & homeowners insurance agents as some of the "non attached" or "portable" stuff like rods, tackle & possibly your electronics could be covered under your homeowners policy.  Everything is through State Farm for me....
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 05:29 PM by cousinlll »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal