Author Topic: Bartlett crappies 5/20  (Read 4421 times)

Offline gonfishin

Bartlett crappies 5/20
« on: May 21, 2011, 02:17 PM »
FISHONAZ and I hit the lake at 6:30am - later than we had planned (It does make a difference if the alarm clock says PM instead of AM). Launched at the Jojoba ramp (verified that Yellow Clifts ramp was still barricaded on the trip uplake). Stopped just past Rattlesnake cove to try some structure that turned out to be still too deep. Must have gone thru some recent spawn, because when we stopped, the lower unit was attacked by shad. My partner grabbed the net and we put 3 or 4 dozen in the aerated bait bucket along with the 4 doz minnows I had picked up the day before. The stayed alive for about 3 hours before starting to die off. Not that it made any difference - got fish on lip hooked, back hooked, dead or alive. Of 5 under water tree structures we fished, we caught crappies on only one. Water temp 73 degrees, wind calm, visibility good (approx 2ft) bottom 21 ft down, slip bobber rigs fished at 10 feet. Fished until noon when the bait ran out and the wind came up. Total catch 19 crappies, 3 bass, various bluegills - kept 15 crappies 1.0 to 1.4 lbs.

PS: Lots of shad around reef buoys. Shad were 2 - 3 inches long. Crappies loved them.

Offline Fish Hawk

• AZCA Members
Re: Bartlett crappies 5/20
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 02:51 PM »
good report, thanks

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 04:11 PM »
thanks for report with the tonto national forest circus would open SB ramp :angry4:
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline sandman

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 05:54 PM »
Great report. Thanks.

Offline Rocko

• ahhhh
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 11:27 AM »
That is a good report.  I think I may be heading to Bartlett for crappie.   I used to fish the yellow cliffs a long time ago, but I heard it's not as good as it used to be.  I'm bringing light to try the night bite. I may try the yellow cliffs now.  Thanks for the report.  I'll let you all know how we do.  Now I need to go to bass pro and buy a shad net! 
Rocky

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 10:39 AM »
Excellent report and awesome catch for Bartlett! I wouldn't mind hitting that lake for some night fishing this year.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal