Author Topic: Sad Crappie situation  (Read 2716 times)

Offline WarrenWolff

Sad Crappie situation
« on: May 27, 2011, 07:33 PM »
I moved to Lake Havasu City 5 years ago; will never leave; wonderful place to retire.  However, quite a few years ago, there
were some monster crappie here.  I have concluded that AZ Fish and Game made a GIANT error, stocking the lake with stripers.  No crappie to be found.  The questions are: Is there any solution?   Does anyone give a hoot?  What can be done?  I recommend heavy
striper tournaments with no fish being returned to the lake.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
Re: Sad Crappie situation
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 10:48 AM »
not to defend g and f but they did not put the stripers in Havasu or any of those colorado lakes, Utah g and f stocked stripers in powell like 30+ years ago (with az blessings) they were not supposed to spawn in powell but nobody told the stripers that so they are eveywhere in powell and have worked there way down through all the colorado river lakes and even into pleasant here in Phx by having the small fish survive going through pump and generator turbines. The crappie numbers are starting to suffer here at lake pleasant and I don't know if it is due to competition for the shad or because the gazzilion stripers are eating small crappie???
In havasu case crappie need structure to hide and spawn in and with all the artifical habitat that is being installed there it might not be to late for crappie since the big redear sunfish seem to be doing quite well. Bartlett lake here in the valley had a big increase in crappie numbers after they installed artifical habitat in that lake 15 years ago as all the old trees and brush had gone away.

On a side note you can still catch nice crappie at topock marsh just up the road from havasu. You might contact the Kingman office of g and f and talk to one of their fisheries people and ask about the crappie situation in havasu?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal