Author Topic: oh yeh ive had a hydrolic fluid leak but it seems just a slow one?  (Read 4826 times)

Offline menrats

• AZCA Members
can i just add some more fluid. theres a spot to fill it up front by the steering wheel, is that the only place it goes in. and is it pressurized or do you just puor some in?
 i cant fish this weekend, i give, its just too hot.

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
Is your steering actuator leaking?  Is there evidence of hydraulic fluid in your splash well, on the rigging going into your motor or dripping from around the chrome cylinder at the steering actuator?  Do you have a SeaStar steering actuator?

I just fixed mine after milking it for a couple months.  Have been adding steering fluid every so often.  My steering actuator is a SeaStar and over time the seals start leaking from around the chrome cylinder.  Always seems to be the port (LH) side of the actuator.  It's an easy fix and there are repair kits available - around $100 including the "special" tooling.  So I have the tools if needed.

I will try to attach the service manual section that covers this...  OK, attached is from the SeaStar manuals.  First one shows the breakdown of parts including the two "special" tools and lists kit part numbers.  The last three attachments are instructions on how to service the system.  Wasn't able to download this as one attachment - sorry.  Guess that file size was too large but was able to download each page individually.

LLL
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 12:35 PM by cousinlll »

Offline menrats

• AZCA Members
yeah ok i give in. offto the shop. thx for the info. i did have quite a bunch of fluid in the splashweel last month. i cleaned it and havent seen any thing since. however im getting a little of a grinding lowereing the engine and yes it is a seastar. thx again i think my guy charged 175 to do it a year or two ago. this seams to be the third fix for this in my 4 years with the unit. whats up with that.

Offline sandman

this seams to be the third fix for this in my 4 years with the unit. whats up with that.

As a manufacturing guy, I would say design flaw or the seal is not designed to withstand our heat. Most likely design or seal on the other side would fail too. I would have your guy check the shaft for nicks, pitting, or any roughness on the shaft that could be damaging the seal.

Offline Fish Hawk

• AZCA Members
this seams to be the third fix for this in my 4 years with the unit. whats up with that.

As a manufacturing guy, I would say design flaw or the seal is not designed to withstand our heat. Most likely design or seal on the other side would fail too. I would have your guy check the shaft for nicks, pitting, or any roughness on the shaft that could be damaging the seal.

what Sandman said. and how many dirt roads do you take.

Offline sandman

Amen brother. That Apache Trail can really tear some stuff up.

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
Sounds like Halibut Warrior has the same issue.  Gave him all the needed tooling and instructions that came with my kit.  

Yeah, over time dirt & grime can build up on the cylinder of the actuator.  As you make turns, the seals in the gland nut become worn/torn causing it to leak over time.  Like Fish Hawk asked, gravel & dirt roads being the main culprit.  Sandman's comment about nicks or scratches on your cylinder is spot on!  That will also cause the seals to tear.  They might need to add a "scraper ring" (it's a teflon ring) like aircraft landing gear struts have to scrape or clean the cylinder as it moves.  Not quite sure why the LH side leaks first but that has been my experience.

LLL
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 04:58 PM by cousinlll »

Offline Halibut Warrior

Larry,

Iwill attempt to do the repair while I'm waiting for my powerhead and as soon as I get my hands on the correct o rings. I was impressed at the price and selection of the kits at HF, metric and standard, rubber and this special purple looking ones that had a higher resistance to heat and petroleum (HPMB?) something like that. Only 7-12 bucks for hundreds of them of assorted sizes. I didn't buy till I am sure of the size I need. Thanks for the tools.

Piscolli

Amen brother. That Apache Trail can really tear some stuff up.

double amen! The Puff had her alt. fall off at Alamo the trip after Apache 2 years ago.

Offline menrats

• AZCA Members
yeh i got ya, plus the dust. im not going back there... until it gets below 110. :dance:
 i remember though twice this year during the hard freeze days, the motor had gone from sitting upright and straight to full left or right side angle. wondering perhaps the frost could blow the seal? i was worried about that but realy didnt see leakage signs until later. but i think it was leaking prior to hitting the trail this year.

thx for the help brothers.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal