Author Topic: Might go crappie fishing this week.  (Read 6061 times)

Offline AZfisherdude

Might go crappie fishing this week.
« on: August 11, 2011, 09:42 PM »
I was thinking of talking my buddy into looking for some crappie this Sunday night instead of striper fishing. How is Bartlett looking right now? Are the ramps all in the water? Also, where would you suggest we start? Anybody have luck throwing a line out for cats while crappie fishing there? Be nice to get on a big flathead.

Piscolli

Re: Might go crappie fishing this week.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 05:23 AM »
Main ramp only but with 4x4 you can shore launch at the flats. If I were going I'd try Cat Bat and the Yellow Cliffs area.

Offline AZfisherdude

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 09:05 AM »
Hmmm I don't have 4 wheel drive. So the water is pretty low right now then. At least the main launch is in the water. What about Rosy? Anybody having any luck there?

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 07:18 AM »
sb ramp closed an almost out of water, main ramp open but dock is hung up and only half way in the water, can not park anymore down on the dirt have to park in the parking lot (forest circus) put up no parking signs. Lake is 50% but most hazards are now marked (but when you head up lake there is an island in the middle of the channel just above rattle snake (but is marked with buoys) lake is light green water looks good
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline AZfisherdude

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 12:55 PM »
Thanks fishless. Have you been able to find any crappie biting up there? What about cats? Anybody know where to look for the big ones or any double digit catfish in Bartlett? Never tried for them there. In fact, I don't think I have been there in over a year now....

Offline The Desert Rat

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 03:52 PM »
I just returned from Bartlett--pulled an "all nighter" and stayed on the water until noon ( today-Saturday). Full moon was blanked out with cloud cover--temps stayed very comfortable until 10-10:30
Fished all of the Yellow Cliff area, including Cat Bay and the submerged trees across for Bartlett Flatts----one Hugh Crappie, many -many small Bass ( about 40 )--and several giant Catfish---the catfish are hitting anything you through in the water--jigs, Rapalas, plastic worms etc etc---
Launching is easy at Bartlett Flatts--you have to truck out with all tires in the water --however, the ground is solid--SB Cove is like cliff diving--very steep--Good Luck---the lake is 50% and all the usual Crappie locations are in 10-14 feet of water--

Offline AZfisherdude

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 09:57 PM »
Hey thanks davidjolene! Were you catching the catfish while using your lights or at other times? Curious because it seems that you would throw cranks etc while moving around rather than anchored up. My buddy is dying to catch a good sized catfish. We have been out night fishing for two years now and never got a good one. I think it would make his summer lol! Neither one of us eat them. How funny is that?! I think he just really wants to catch a big fish and that is his best shot.

Offline The Desert Rat

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 07:43 AM »
You are absolutely correct--I was on the move, all night--I caught most of the cats on 2 inch Jigs, tails on each end --use a "wacky rig"--split shot , 18 inches above a #2 hook--connect the Jig right in the middle--( looks pretty stupid--called "Wacky Rig")
The majority of the cats were caught directly across from Bartlett Flatts . Just N of the Yellow Clifs, a major wash extends out in the lake---water depth about 4 feet, 30 yards out from the shore line--a couple of boats were anchored and catching cats on bluegill--I believe I out fished them , using Jigs---with the "Whacky Rig"---cast out, let it sink ( lots of strikes on the "sink" time)--then jig--jig a little faster than you would using a plastic worm---bounce on the bottom---Good Luck---call me if you want more info--
David 602-430-0166

Offline AZfisherdude

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 10:26 AM »
Thanks for the tips David. We did get out there last night. Sadly, not much success. I caught some of the smallest crappie I have ever seen as well as several small bluegill. We tried throwing the bluegill out on hooks to get a cat. I also tried throwing a wacky rig and texas rig. Managed to get one lmb. At one point, we were sitting there and all of the sudden my buddy's clicker started zinging! He sets the hook and fights the fish for a couple of minutes and he's saying "this is a big one". The he goes "No. No!" and reels in his line. The fish straightened out his snap on the 20lb leader he was using. Quite a bummer. Otherwise, the night was uneventful. Launching was easy. My friend had a 4x4 so we pulled my boat with his truck.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal