Author Topic: Alamo 1/13 1/14  (Read 3767 times)

Offline o from wi

• AZCA Members
  • snow bird
Alamo 1/13 1/14
« on: January 16, 2012, 07:57 PM »
Outing report; Caught 15 incher after only 5 minutes on the water. Ended up with four fish from 3 to 5 P.M. Friday. Caught nice bass after 5 minutes fishing on Saturday. We just knew it was going to be a good day,,, Ya RIGHT! The 4 fish caught on Friday were on 4 differant baits (one was on minnow). The  2 we caught on Sat. were on differant baits yet. The ONLY pattern we found was to troll at 1.1 mph. I'm thinking' the introduction of the 200 HP bass boats put the crappie in "freeze" mode. The fish were not FEEDING but hitting on instinct if the bait was run right past their nose at a faster speed. I did not stay over,,, had to watch those STUPID PACKERS!!  :violent1: I shall return.
Never trust a man who doesn't drink!

Offline freshwater

Re: Alamo 1/13 1/14
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 09:05 PM »
Dang computor   Any way we caught 2 on bbc tipped w/min  1 on white jig head no grub tipped/min  1on red jig head yellowjacket grub tipped/min trolled at .4-.6  1/4oz jigs 25ft line out   on the samples (7)  larger crappie had midsize eggs and 1 male smaller had egg sacs just starting. great weekend great comadera. looks like I won't make Barttlet till mon. Take care till next

Offline Gflood

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 01:59 AM »
I am from Wisconsin as well. Been here 1 year. "Go Pack"

Offline Rocko

• ahhhh
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 11:29 AM »
We fished Alamo Saturday and Sunday.  I caught a cold and 0 crappie.  We threw everything at them for two days.  bbc, john deers, minnows.  I had 4 nibbles in two days.  I would say the bite is as light as it can be. 
Rocky

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 02:09 PM »
Friday went to the trees on the north/east side of the lake and tried in 10-20ft of water.  Caught 2 bass, 0 crappie.  Saturday went same north/east side of lake but in 35-30ft of water caught nothing in the morning.  Heard someone caught crappie earlier by 2nd buoy line (to the north/east) more on the north side of lake but didn't see any fish nor did I catch any.  Then went down to the dam and trolled around it and no bites and no fish.  Also tried one cove near the dam.  No bites or fish near dam.  As I exited the dam (pun intended) area to the area where it opens up wide, I went to where all the birds were on the water pretty much in the center and across from a boat ramp from what I could tell.  Both fish finders showed trees there in I think it was 60 or 70ft of water and what appeared to be lots of fish.  I tried various depths for my lines but finders showed fish 25ft and up so I fished various depths 25 ft and less - most often under 10ft.  I did get a bite so I put orange marker down with the hope that other people would come and help me catch them.  At that point, I wanted to prove my finders were working more than hoard the fish myself.  Well, I got 2 other boats and we all got skunked together. I still think something is there - just didn't know how to catch them or what type of fish my finders were locating.

It was early afternoon so I headed back to the trees on the north/east side of lake in 30ft of water.  Cloud cover came over and a little wind so perhaps that helped me.  Finally caught 1 crappie and never been happier in my life.  Well, maybe an overstatement but somewhat happy.  Saw cousinlll there and he caught some later I believe in that area.

I trolled usually at 0.7mph... maybe too fast?  Want to cover lots of area but probably a bad idea if too fast.  Saw other report saying 1.1mph worked but also read earlier reports saying troll slow.  I used double-jigs always tipped with minnow.  Had luck with blue grubs for the bass but acid rain is what I caught the crappie on.

Fishing was slow so cracked open Bug Light with Klamata and secured myself into redneck territory.

Headed back to camp and watched football on TV that cousinlll/sparkchaser setup.  Then proceeded to eat 3 bowls of menrats chili and some of freshwater's meatloaf and potatoes/peas.  Wow, that was good stuff.  Finished off night in Cabelas recline chair, cousinlll propane heater, and watched Broncos get schooled.  Great trip and to think I was considering skipping it for fear of cold weather.  Who says Azcrappie weather is bad?!

Offline sandman

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 03:20 PM »
Yep, tough weekend but the good grub Sat. evening made it all worthwhile.

Offline Stevert

• AZCA Members
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 08:13 PM »
Yep, tough weekend but the good grub Sat. evening made it all worthwhile.

That was good grub.  I didn't get to try Tom's Chili but the meatloaf, peas and potatoes were awesome.  Thanks again Freshwater!     

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal