Author Topic: New crappie set-ups  (Read 6994 times)

Offline malex81

New crappie set-ups
« on: June 11, 2013, 08:25 PM »
Hey guys, I'm in the market for some new crappie poles/reels. What's your guys opinion on what's out there. In looking to spend 50-75 on pole and 50-75 on reel. Any info would be great thanks

Offline IAMMAC

• AZCA Members
Re: New crappie set-ups
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 09:52 PM »
Malex81,

It all depends on the type of Crappie fishing you are doing.  Set-ups can be different for the different styles that you may do.  If you spider rig you'll need 12'-16' poles, if you are long line trolling 8'-12' poles.  Once you figure that out then you'll need to start looking at brands of poles, all have their pros and cons it just depends on what you like.  I use the 12' BnM Pro Staff Trolling rods, they have been great for me and I would definately recomend them as well as buy them again!  As for the reels, go with a mid level reel that has anti-reverse and 3-4 ballbearings.  I use Shimano Sedonas and have not had any issues with them.  Hopefully that helps a bit, I am sure the other guys will chime in with more info!

BTW as you get more and more into Crappie fishing you'll have a great collection of gear.  So buy what you need for now and then add to it as time goes by. 

I bought mine here...... http://www.monkscrappie.com/store/store_product_detail.cfm?Product_ID=67&Category_ID=2
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 09:58 PM by IAMMAC »

Offline ArZFisher

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 10:51 PM »
Man iammac pretty much summed it up. I don't have any b&m poles yet but from what I've read and seen they are they best in my opinion. Longer the pole more sensitive it is.

Offline malex81

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 06:44 AM »
thank you very much gentlemen!  I am looking to get at least 1 pole for a spider rig, but for the most part i like to jig and troll.  so i guess on saturday i need to spend a couple extra hours at bass pro, as for the reels i pretty much got it narrowed to the flueger and the sedona.  Thanks again for your help i should be out on the water next weekend!

Offline Papermouth

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 09:17 AM »
Bass Pro's 11 foot Wally Marshall or whatever it is nowadays is great all around rod. I can't speak highly enough of it's versatility and sensitivity. At the time I bought mine they were $40 may now be $50.
Have a Crappie Day :thumbsup:

Offline malex81

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 09:45 AM »
THANK YOU.  YA THE ONE'S I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT THERE IS THE CRAPPIE BLACK MAXX

Offline ArZFisher

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 11:18 AM »
THANK YOU.  YA THE ONE'S I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT THERE IS THE CRAPPIE BLACK MAXX

I bought one of those crappie max poles couple yrs ago. Rood is nice but the reel kinda blows. The drag system on mine kinda sketchy. The pole has been real good to me even landing me couple big cats. I would recommend he pole just not reel

Offline Papermouth

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 11:31 AM »
I put a $35 shimano snycropate ? or something on that 11' and honestly use it for almost every type of fishing I do. Anything that doesn't require hard hook sets, basically.

Crappie trolling (I also use 14's and 6's to keep a good spread - 11's are perfect for in between), trout cowbell trolling, large crankbait trolling, Lees Ferry spin fishing was fun.. I have caught MANY doubles on that rod trolling - bass/bass, crappie/bass, and most importantly, crappie/crappie.

It also makes a great night fishing rod, I am one of the firm believers that the best night fishing is just outside the light, this 11 foot rod gets you in the perfect spot, the manageability of using long rods at night is however questionable. If there was one to do it, this is it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is you won't be disappointed.
Have a Crappie Day :thumbsup:

Offline malex81

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 12:52 PM »
Sweet thanks everybody, I will let you all know what I get

Offline Palo Verde

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 07:27 PM »

When I was a kid fishing in Minnesota for crappie, we used fly rods and cane poles -- all were long and we caught large messes of crappie. But I have lately been using smaller spinning rods 6-7 foot long -- maybe that's why my crappie catch has been small. :laugh:.

Anyway, all you guys have been talking about 10-12 foot rods. I would appreciate someone explaining the benefit or difference with the long rods. I must be missing something obvious.
Thanks in advance for the info
 :sign0144:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal